Commuter bike needed

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I am a mountain biker so not much knowledge about road bikes. I am looking for a cheap commuter bike which will be comfortable over 10 mile commute to work. I am not fussed about looks or spec etc as long as it functions and gets the job done. I don't want to spend more because the bike will be left outside chained to a post with no cover, anything flashy could get stolen anyway.
Never ridden a bike with drop bars so I am keen to give it ago. I have seen plenty of cheap options from Halfords, Decathlon, Go Outdoors and CRC/Wiggle aroung £200-£300 range.

The route itself is fairly flat apart from one big hill. The surface is on the rough side at places with many pot holes...Most bikes out there have 25c tyres and at the price range - steel fork. I am looking for comfort over speed, would something like this work?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html

It has a wider 32c tyres but only 7 gears, perhaps there are better options which I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'd be tempted to grab something second hand at that price range which would give you a much more capable machine. As you're a mountain biker you'd have some experience of the kind of things to look for when inspecting a second hand bike.

The gear shifter on the Triban 100 isn't on the drops which can make it awkward. Decathlon are selling last year's Triban 500 SE for £250 which is a lot more bike for £50 more but they only have the 63cm one left. Although it may have narrower tires the carbon fork would add a lot more comfort and it has the clearance to fit wider tires if you wish.
  • mark_fogel
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I'd be tempted to grab something second hand at that price range which would give you a much more capable machine. As you're a mountain biker you'd have some experience of the kind of things to look for when inspecting a second hand bike.

The gear shifter on the Triban 100 isn't on the drops which can make it awkward. Decathlon are selling last year's Triban 500 SE for £250 which is a lot more bike for £50 more but they only have the 63cm one left. Although it may have narrower tires the carbon fork would add a lot more comfort and it has the clearance to fit wider tires if you wish.

Yes I saw that one for £250 I think its a little too big for me, I need a 57cm. I will see what's available on eBay nearby.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I'd also think about second hand for that money. Have you tried to sit on a couple of road bikes to see what sort of size you want? You don't want the same frame size as on a MTB.
  • mark_fogel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd also think about second hand for that money. Have you tried to sit on a couple of road bikes to see what sort of size you want? You don't want the same frame size as on a MTB.

Never ridden a road bike... I had a look on few online sizing guides and I think around 57cm will work for me will be looking at 2nd hand options too thanks. If I find something decent I will of course try it out before buying. Thanks
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Agree that second hand will give better value in your price range, but check carefully for damage etc.

You might want to consider a cyclocross bike or similar - this would allow you to fit mudguards and possibly a pannier rack so you are not carrying a backpack. Lots of road bikes come with clearance and/or mounts for mudguards.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • For 10 miles, just get some slick tyres for your mountain bike? I typically run 700x38mm on my Voodoo's 29er wheelset with 20mm inside rim width.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mark_fogel
    For 10 miles, just get some slick tyres for your mountain bike? I typically run 700x38mm on my Voodoo's 29er wheelset with 20mm inside rim width.

Yes this is another option which I am considering. Wouldn't want to change tyres on my MTB as I need the bike for off-road riding however I do have an old steel rigid Raleigh 26er which I could convert. It weighs a ton and needs all cables replacing however might just work fine for a cheap commuter bike. Might do this while I am looking for an actual road bike just to get me out riding for now.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    mark_fogel wrote:
    I do have an old steel rigid Raleigh 26er which I could convert.
    Stick some slicks on that and give it a service, I was commuting on an old rigid Marin MTB for a while before I got a more road orientated bike. I wound up getting one on the ride to work scheme, is that an option open to you?
  • mark_fogel
    I think there is a cycle to work scheme, but I am still within my probation period so cant use it just yet.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    mark_fogel wrote:
    I think there is a cycle to work scheme, but I am still within my probation period so cant use it just yet.

I'd wait until you are eligible for it if you can - use the MTB until then. The savings you make are well worth it, you can spread the cost as well, which means you might be able to spend more.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Moonbiker wrote:

Even that I'd be worried about locking outside. I think the best solution for the poster is to convert the old Raleigh into a pub/commuter bike that you'd be happy to lock outside and then get a nice road bike later on when he becomes eligible for cycle to work.

N+1 in action!
  • mark_fogel
    Thanks all,

I will convert my old Raleigh for road use for now.. I found an old 1.75 DSI tyre in my garage and ordered a Kenda Kross at 1.75 + new brake cables and outers.. this will do me fine for now I think. Cheers!