High limit screw does nothing on front mech

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Trying to adjust my front mech everything setup fine apart from when I go to turn the high limit screw as the front mech is rubbing against the chain in the biggest gear it doesn’t move. I’ve tried starting from scratch several times by unbolting the cable and pulling it as hard as I can to remove the slack from the cable but this does nothing. I’ve also gone and greased the cable up to make sure it moves smoothly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    First with the cable unattached set the limit stop in big small and small big. If this is current Shimano front mech they are frankly a pain. You can try setting the low stop with some rub (not ideal) or better still install an online adjuster which is what I did with the last one I did this week.

You could also that this as a hint and go 1x.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • louman999
    First with the cable unattached set the limit stop in big small and small big. If this is current Shimano front mech they are frankly a pain. You can try setting the low stop with some rub (not ideal) or better still install an online adjuster which is what I did with the last one I did this week.

You could also that this as a hint and go 1x.
    I’ll have to take a look tomorrow I think the cable might need replacing. As for 1x I don’t think I’ll be switching anytime soon
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    New Shimano FDs require the in line barrel adjuster to add the extra tension.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • louman999
    philthy3 wrote:
    Oh I don’t have one
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    philthy3 wrote:

The new front mech has a tension adjuster built-in. Is this what you are referring to as an in-line? No additional one is needed. This assumes a 9100, R8000 (and new R7000) series FD.

Older set-ups don't have or need an inline adjuster IMO.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Svetty wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

The new front mech has a tension adjuster built-in. Is this what you are referring to as an in-line? No additional one is needed. This assumes a 9100, R8000 (and new R7000) series FD.

Older set-ups don't have or need an inline adjuster IMO.

I'm guessing he probably has one of the older designs (4700, 5800 or 6800) where there is no on-board tension adjusting gizmo. With most modern bikes now being internally cabled then a lot don't have the luxury of a downtube cable stop and barrel adjuster. Some,tho not all, do have in-line adjusters.

I found with my externally cabled frame it was essential to have that barrel adjuster in order to get the tension correct with a 5800 FD.

From other posts and YouTube videos it is clear that others have struggled with those set ups due to the lack of an in-line or downtube adjuster.

My reckoning is that Shimano have been aware of these problems - hence the redesign of the R8000 and other new FD's to include an on-board tension device.

I think to optimise his set-up the OP will need to fit an in-line barrel adjuster or bite the bullet and buy a new FD that has one built in