Which Ribble Bike?

pinchez
pinchez Posts: 76
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
After weeks of pondering over upgrading or new bike and which one I’ve narrowed it down to these 3 but can’t decide between them!

Ribble Sportive Racing Ultegra
Carbon, R8000 Groupset, Vision Team 35 wheels, Fizik Saddle
£1249

Ribble R872 Black 105 Mavic SE
Carbon, 5800 groupset, Mavic Aksium Wheels (would replace these with cosmic), Selle Italia Saddle
£1100 + £350 for Wheels

RIBBLE GRAN FONDO
Carbon, 5800 Groupset, Mavic Cosmic wheels, Fizik Saddle
£1500

I should also add I’ve just bought a 4iiii 105 5800 left only crank arm power meter which is still sealed, should I get Ultegra I could always send it back and pay the extra for Ultegra 4iiii version.

To my eyes the sportive represents the best value and I love the sleek black look, my head says the R872 has the best frame but would it be too racy for me as I normally ride a more relaxed position. The Gran Fondo is probably the most sensible option but I’m not a fan of the colour scheme, but could I learn to love it?

I’m looking for this to last me a couple of years with no upgrades and will be taking it to Mallorca for some epic climbing later this year as well as Sunday club rides etc.

Please help me make my mind up, I am pretty set on 1 of these 3 unless it’s something pretty special :)

Comments

• Don't buy a bike you don't love the look of. Seriously. You want a bike that every time you glance at it you just wanna swing a leg over it and hammer on those pedals!

I'd get the R872, but I like racy. The Sportive Racing with R8000 Ultegra looks really good value.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    If you are thinking you get a nice set of semi aero wheels with those visions then think again, they are awful wheels.

That R872 looks fantastic in the test in last weeks Cycling weekly magazine. Bang some good wheels on that and I'm sure it'll have you smiling. One thing to add, the 5800 is about to be replaced, seemingly the new version will be a bit cheaper so might be worth holding off as it looks so much nicer.
  • I’ve had my Sportive Racing ultegra for 3 years and it’s a good geometry for me, used for Club runs and Sportives. I upgraded the wheels to Aksiums which have been bombproof throughout this time. (I’m 100kg).

My mate has the R872 which is also a lovely frame, he uses it for the same type of riding and hasn’t complained of it being uncomfortable.

Ultimately buy what you like the look of more, you won’t be disappointed with the value for money and 105 performance from what I’ve read is on a par with ultegra just slightly heavier.
  • pinchez
    pinchez Posts: 76
    Thanks guys, I’ve spent so much time researching I’m going round in circles lol yeah the new 105 groupset as got me thinking I might be better off waiting. Don’t get me wrong the Gran Fondo doesn’t look completely awful but I do prefer the look of the other two.

I have a bit of a problem, just bought the 4iiii 105 5800 left arm only power meter which I’ve not taken out the box yet, if I go for say the new 105 7000 or Ultegra 8000 will the power meter work with these and will it look ok or ridiculous?
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Your power meter will look fine, it's on the non drive side so nothing really on that side to clash with. I've got a Pioneer Dura Ace 9000 left side power meter with a Dura Ace 9100 groupset and although it is different I don't notice.