bottles

stonflo
stonflo Posts: 21
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
How often is it recomended to change bottles used on your byke. Sensible replies please.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I keep mine for years just stick em in the dish washer and their fine.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    when they stink chuck them out. nice to have a few options, dishwasher will freshen them up every now and again. depends a bit on if you've just got water in there or something more fruity.

drives me mad the number of people with £2000 worth of bike with ugly as hell high5 or similar bottles on there, such a cheap upgrade to get some which match the frame. but that's just me.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They last for years so long as you look after them. As soon as I finish on the bike the bottle is in the sink or in the dish washer.

My high 5 bottles do me just fine. :-)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    cgfw201 wrote:
    ........drives me mad the number of people with £2000 worth of bike with ugly as hell high5 or similar bottles on there, such a cheap upgrade to get some which match the frame. but that's just me.

Probably not just you but, I suspect, a very small minority.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    clean them and they last until worn out

people who put sugary stuff in bottles probably have more problems with nasty stuff growing in them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    sungod wrote:

people who put sugary stuff in bottles probably have more problems with nasty stuff growing in them

especially if you dont wash it out as soon as you get home, been there done that, grown some exciting mould in a bottle I cant get out easily.

the only thing with dishwasher washing though is, watch the temps, because I think the standard higher temps shorten the life of the bottles considerably, its just I lent a bottle of mine to a friend, and she washed it up via a dishwasher, all my bottles I hand wash,and all seemed fine till I next used it mid ride squeezed it and the damn thing just shattered and I was left wearing half a litre of water, which was amusing for everyone else. :roll:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    sungod wrote:

Just use Miltons (or cheaper own brand equivalents) or bio washing powder (cheapest you can find) to soak them every now and then - obviously, just make sure to rinse them properly afterwards. They sort out any cleanliness issues as well odours left behind by the aforementioned 'sugary stuff'. Don't forget the spout.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • stonflo
    stonflo Posts: 21
    Thankyou for your comments put them the dishwasher last night. Seem ok
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    My high five ones seem to have a really stiff nozzle. The madison genesis ones have a rubber end and feel a lot less like they are ripping my fake teeth out...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I prefer the ones where you can dismantle the spout closure. It leaves a simple tube to clean and a rubbery "plug" part that is often the dirtiest looking part of the bottle.

Hot water with washing liquid (can get antibacterial washing up liquid now. Milton and other baby sterilising tabs work well. You can get sterilisers for baby bottles. I think one of these would help too (if you've had a baby in the last decade you probably have one). Available as a microwave one or an electrical powered one.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    When empty, I just throw them to the fans lining the route

*Stolen from a thread from years ago
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I find most plastic cheap type Bidons develop a mould, that’s more hassle than it’s worth to try and clean off properly, after about 20 hours riding, except in the summer, when that decreases. It depends what you put in them, but for my usual type of electrolyte type drinks ( 1 sachet / tab to 750 ml water Normally) it’s about that sort of time.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What are you doing with your bottles then MM ? If you're using energy drink and leaving it on the bike then I can see it would be an issue - but if you wash the bottle properly after each ride and dry it - there should be no issue.

They aren't much different to any plastic cup are they really ?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have yet to throw out a bottle. Give them a good clean after each ride, either by hand or in the dishwasher, and they will last for ages.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • haydenm
    Having used many a moldy camelbak in my time, it's fine. Especially if you use bottle steriliser as TM says
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I generally get the High 5 ones with the Tabs in.
    £2.50 or so from planet x with 10 tabs (so I buy 4)

Every few months or when they start to look used and manky, I chuck them in the recycling and buy more.
    At £2.50 including tabs, they are basically disposable
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I seem to accumulate them in various ways. Occasionally I'll open the cupboard clumsily and have a small avalanche of them, at which point I'll have a cull and chuck the tattiest looking in the recycling.

My go to ones are Kamelbak Podiums; leak-free, lockable, nice chewy spout with a valve in it, good flow rate. I have a pair that must be 8 years old and only just starting to look a bit discoloured. (But I think my experiments with Berocca might have been to blame for that though...)
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    edited April 2018
    Fenix wrote:
    What are you doing with your bottles then MM ? If you're using energy drink and leaving it on the bike then I can see it would be an issue - but if you wash the bottle properly after each ride and dry it - there should be no issue.

They aren't much different to any plastic cup are they really ?

They seem to get manky in the bits that aren’t easily accessible, especially if I forget to take the bottle off after a ride, they’re usually knackered by the following day. They’ll often get manky on one long ride, if it’s 10+ hours long, I’m not stopping to clean it out en route.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    they last years and years. its a plastic bottle that you hold drink in.

i'm glad the OP's survived his dishwasher. phew.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    [ They’ll often get manky on one long ride, if it’s 10+ hours long, I’m not stopping to clean it out en route.

:shock: :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Not impressed with podiums. Got an insulated one that leaks badly. The top doesn't always screw on right but you can't tell until you squeeze it or find out it's been dribbling out a bit. It doesn't always have that issue.

Prefer elite range with the pop down tube and cover too. Although that usually gets ripped off with use.

Both those bottles do strip down but the elite are easier and simpler to do that too. Plus cheaper.
  • haydenm
    I bin them if they don't seal properly, can't stand getting covered in sticky sugar if I have energy powder in there. My irrational dislike of sticky fingers (not in that way) outweighs my environmental conscious in that situation...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    When they break.

I have tacxs ones. Could maybe do with a mtb type one for winter as nozzle gets covered in shit as farmer being slurrying the roads
  • photojim
    photojim Posts: 11
    Dannbodge wrote:

Every few months or when they start to look used and manky, I chuck them in the recycling and buy more.

Probably more stuff for the landfill. Really, my bottles last many years - just rinse them out.

Jim
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They’ll often get manky on one long ride, if it’s 10+ hours long, I’m not stopping to clean it out en route.

No they don't.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    photojim wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Probably more stuff for the landfill. Really, my bottles last many years - just rinse them out.

Jim

The high 5 ones have recycling stamp on the bottom, so should be recycled (at least I hope they are).

I find the tops get worn out from opening and closing with teeth and then they leak. After a while they start to taste funny too.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    I take one quick drink out of every one and chuck it straight in a ditch at the side of the road.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    When they break.

I have tacxs ones. Could maybe do with a mtb type one for winter as nozzle gets covered in shoot as farmer being slurrying the roads

I buy the deals on PX high 5 with tablets, and use them until they are completely done in, re the above quote, about 20 years ago I got e coli from the above mentioned "slurry" while off road, it was the greatest weight loss in a short time I have ever experienced, I was ill for months and lost the lining of my lower intestines, unable to process dairy products for 3 months.

I would only use bottles with a cap/lid over the spout if I were still hitting the trails on my MTB, 99% road now.