Dawes Galaxy rust on frame

chapman3
chapman3 Posts: 2
edited April 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi
I've been riding an old Dawes Galaxy circa 1995 and recently given it a thorough clean to discover some rust on the main frame.
A local bike mechanic has suggested sanding it down and applying some hammerite paint (similar shade) but from reading other posts I'm unsure if this is the best approach.
I would be grateful of any advice of how to protect it for future cycling and tours.
See link below to photos of frame.

Thanks in advance.
Duncan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139536451 ... res/6MYt33

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends what the bike is worth to you. Hammerite will arrest the spread of corrosion up to a point and is a relatively simple, inexpensive way of dealing with it.

If you want it gone completely, then shotblasting and (most likely) a full respray would be the way forward..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looks fairly superficial. If it's just there you could strip it back to bare metal / sound paint, apply a rust inhibitor, wash off, dry, then paint with rattle cans - primer / 2 coats of colour / 1 or 2 of clearcoat.

Wire brush or abrasive flap wheel in a power tool will be a lot quicker than hand tools.

If it's in several places it might be worth having the whole thing blasted and painted professionally
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its a Galaxy.

strip all bits off.

get it powdercoated

rebuild

£100 all in it'll be as good as new and last another 200 years.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Take the opportunity to give it a new look. Saw a nice super/ultra galaxy with an amazing paint job (apart from the brown base colour). It had fleck in it which gave quite a nice effect when viewed from different angles.

Get it completely stripped back (professionally) and get it professionally painted. I'm sure there's enough custom bike makers out there to do the job if you're willing to pay. Afterall it's your bike and one that you obviously want to keep.

Alternatively do a cheap job yourself, it'll be ok and you'll get more life out of it.

Or take the hint and get a new bike. N+1
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A decent powder coat will be £50-100 whereas a professional paintjob at least double that - given the frame is worth about £50 in its present condition, no point in spending huge money.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Unless you wanted to. Some people might think that you're paying out £100 why not pay a bit more for something nice.