Different Front/Rear Caliper Brakes

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I’m about to start building up a bike with 10spd Tiagra but the frame requires a long drop brake at the rear. I’ve heard the Tiagra brakes are pretty good (and they came with the groupset) so I was planning on using the Tiagra brake at the front.

If I get a similar quality long drop brake for the rear, would I be able to tell a difference or would it be better to have the same calipers on both front and rear?

Cheers

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    So long as they are of similar quality I doubt you would notice much. Front and rear brakes obviously feel different anyway in terms of modulation and locking up by virtue of being at different ends of the bike. Go for it
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Campag traditionally gave the option of a single pivot brake at the rear for a tiny weight saving and in recognition of the fact that it does a lot less of the braking than the front. So you'll be fine.

I improved the braking on my Tiagra and BR450 long drop calipers by fitting 105 cartridges and brake blocks.

And then improved the Tiagras even more by replacing them with 105 5800 calipers.
  • Great thanks, will go with that then. Means I only have to buy one new caliper too so can use the cash saved to put better blocks in.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Great thanks, will go with that then. Means I only have to buy one new caliper too so can use the cash saved to put better blocks in.
    Save the money, don’t waste it on blocks. You’ll need to buy them at some point in the future anyway. Alternately just buy a dura ace or ultegra groip and have done with it