Airborne - which model is this please? (sorry fixed now)

aztecboy
aztecboy Posts: 384
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I have been trying to work out the model of this frame, I think it is a Lancer.
Does anyone know or own one with the same decal layout?
Thanks in advance
76l-dzL6X6-lwgxT0v24k-rXRKEps2v52obU6617hRE1kLB0KDOYUb63e113nFQh67NftuyB5If29lBk4LpUx5Y_pXhNyi3Nvp1N58pqVdiYzzRSnzvqtdI3wEzQPuQ_p7O4YmANeLmZ_xZCbwxCYWCiHqP3eMch1ijlsZidQ__7h8zR4-72p2KGQOerbdrgA5Yt9eFP8UH3tfoMVfvce9DCF5HqDunNXQQwn447D4KT7kuqdjlz7j4JRxjZnEz80gKgQRslWQJSJGOg_LEaSUwKYtPpvMNtZutel4jIW-ZavS23bb2iSMiqT4uYQvWB_5IE8wEHR3VYu1C79lnBTyRG35rRZHvTvJCGxLvg9aVsNtGpF289Ta1r2ENu4fjJgP2z1aYmS0fmLHXMahNnDeJ22yGi78lgr5-CdTdr8Du18Xy-U1uEw4tFgKVbpus_8IwxDVjglQWy0R7COZ9WFrSSI5bKlCkO1vJHavioMbLZYX27kkPf40WieeF6d_OYYbfo5wH8XOYAJGu8IEKYZSA60uto762op4m-KLvUcTjwOvOkbInN8WRbQS2qytG4aFAoCW-c1Wa9_zKx29J9mAkE6EmPUSekO_CuJEZ3=w743-h416-no
aztecboy

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    aztecboy wrote:
    I have been trying to work out the model of this frame, I think it is a Lancer.
    Does anyone know or own one with the same decal layout?
    Thanks in advance
    mM3g8tDEBWmey7jfA0dVTDhia989mrnJNf--xa3O7XreLdgANtLnhe6vvbN4OhOuFnjiHa4QHsz1qoDwPlS_dAM_v1oJmPt1RS3m0Jv796zZfChjOPE0bqPj8282Y823uUk4UE2uFudhdGdSR79kyw60H-JrUH5vbuIYy5CDxfAH9qSIRVKpMPAoOdxZuQVwy_ifhGO6VBMaf16DWMe0-FlMlGI-Jpu3D96AXgFFQE3YK7Ym5BUjW46tobb0vqNj9s6Ra1lA9QwgQShdQElGJJGN6eq2hMcXjScrr4R-WZYpjHiJjwwxzt_fHfFkRb7_m7IIbT1TDIrs5aJTeA3bp6zycz-LoZMn3i1wCkWGstKYLWCicl5rwG0CgXSTHAHIu2PCuajewGn6LazeYN65jr6AlvswtoHemecNcNRMRFIkABjPTUPQiyM0XqHpTpgdLJ_JN07gKwhoaQCTQ2LP8bNDf2o_LRndT3BxXUkTl9ruT9z1G1QafIxyd3DCvhPfQecxNsoP8ice62FkuDcxlcgPDBXo9tbaobmBfJZcqkinH3LlMAlRbaMbDiCOfuSWYtpKQjeU_RJSH3ejKskfoyQds5bsGuaw0t2uboea=w743-h416-no

Can't see your pic. If you're using Photobox then you need to upgrade to the subscription version to allow third party hosting
  • I can see the image
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Might be worth also asking on Weightweenies?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Could it be a Valkyrie? I think they had the model name on the top tube, clearly removed from this frame. I believe this became the Van Nicholas Yukon when Airborne became VN.
  • aztecboy
    Term1te wrote:
    Could it be a Valkyrie? I think they had the model name on the top tube, clearly removed from this frame. I believe this became the Van Nicholas Yukon when Airborne became VN.
    Thanks Term1te
    Really it is a mystery package.

Actually I have now bought it complete with Chris King headset and Easton EC90 SL forks. I probably paid over the odds but the frame is immaculate for its age.

I would love to find some old literature on Airborne but sadly all searches have drawn a blank. In desperation I rang VN, but they were unsurprisingly not very interested at all.
    aztecboy
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    aztecboy wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    Thanks Term1te

Actually I have now bought it complete with Chris King headset and Easton EC90 SL forks. I probably paid over the odds but the frame is immaculate for its age.

I would love to find some old literature on Airborne but sadly all searches have drawn a blank. In desperation I rang VN, but they were unsurprisingly not very interested at all.
    Should be fine :D

(although no warranty if it cracks which they do have a bit of a reputation for)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • aztecboy
    Svetty wrote:
    aztecboy wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    Thanks Term1te

Should be fine :D

(although no warranty if it cracks which they do have a bit of a reputation for)

Thanks Svetty
    My take is if it hasn't cracked by now...
    aztecboy
  • Term1te wrote:
    The Valkyrie was in effect two models, initially just road bike focused, with steeper head angle, shorter stays, brake clearances and no guard eyes.

At the time I was running the CTC shop, Airborne had a bike called the Carpe Dieme that evolved into the Van Nicholas Amazon. Back then they promoted custom build frames, I had a close working relationship with their owner and founder Jan-Willem Sintnicolaas, I advised that many of us here in the UK ride lighter faster set up bikes which we now generically call Audax bikes, I designed and supplied so many as a custom one off they decided to introduce it as a model, known as the 'Valkyrie Audax', with slightly shallower head angle, longer stays, longer forks, mudguard eyes and rear pannier mounts.

12195168233_0aa26c9b39_o.jpg

Airborne and later Van Nicholas would often introduce a budget version of a popular bike to hit a price point. If I recall the Lancer was a budget version of the Valkyrie, with slightly cheaper construction, straight as opposed to the curved rear stays that the Valkyrie were currently using at the time. Van Nicholas did a similar thing, the Mistral was a straight stayed version of the Euros, the Mistral being marketed as complete set specification bike, at launch if you just wanted a frame you needed to buy the Euros
  • Well, I guess I should thank you then, as I have had an Airborne Valkyrie Audax since 2005 as one of my winter bikes. Ball-park 12,000 miles without complaint, including the 300km Vatternrunden, and more recently as an indoor trainer mule.

Am I right in thinking the Airborne Valkrie Audax pictured above in front of the VN is a 2006? My pal got one after me and his had those red decals, whereas mine are yellow.
  • ...Am I right in thinking the Airborne Valkrie Audax pictured above in front of the VN is a 2006? My pal got one after me and his had those red decals, whereas mine are yellow.
    I can't quite remember when Airborne changed to Van Nicholas, I've just checked on LinkedIn and Jan Willem's profile states his 'experience' with 'Airborne' was from Dec 1998-Dec 2004 and 'Van Nicholas' was from Dec 2005 to Dec 2011, when he sold the company to larger Accell Group (and includes Koga). It may just be the way LinkedIn lists the data but I don't recall there being a gap between the two, if I recall it was seamless.