Recommend me a good/cheap-ish van (camping/bike carrier)

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited April 2018 in The hub
Morning All,

I am considering getting myself a 'second' car, big enough for MTB trips/weekends etc.

What I am after:

- something big/tall enough to sleep in (2 adults);
- something big enough to accommodate unfolded bikes x 2 standing up;
- something RELIABLE !!
- cheap to run;
- something which doesn't look ugly/sill and can be also used as 'camping/traveling' car for 2 adults + 1 kid
- NOT A PANEL VAN !!!!
- £5k-ish max....

My 'list' so far:

- Toyota HIACE;
- Honda Stepwagon

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    So you want a van big enough to be a camper and store 2 bikes in that isn’t a panel van? Transit or Vivaro, with a window. Or a VW T4 or older T5.

Hiace is a panel van with windows, Stepwagon is too small for what you want it to do.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    If you want cheap, avoid the VW vans.
    I've got a T6 camper and I love it, but even old T4/T5 are expensive.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Japanese import?

Toyota Alphard or Nissan Elgrand? Perhaps Mitsubishi delica or mazda bongo? The first two can be imported by the likes of Algys motors for about 5k. They have 7 or 8 seats but the seats fold up and against the side when needed. A bit luxurious too. I've seen some that come with satnav, rear / side cameras, dual zone climate control, etc. Some even come with second set of alloys with winter tyres on n them! 4WD/2WD options but mostly petrol.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Japanese import?

Toyota Alphard or Nissan Elgrand? Perhaps Mitsubishi delica or mazda bongo? The first two can be imported by the likes of Algys motors for about 5k. They have 7 or 8 seats but the seats fold up and against the side when needed. A bit luxurious too. I've seen some that come with satnav, rear / side cameras, dual zone climate control, etc. Some even come with second set of alloys with winter tyres on n them! 4WD/2WD options but mostly petrol.

Yes, was looking into 'Japanese import' cars. Well spec'd (don't worry about petrol engines - even better as you can get them LPG converted).

...never have had any 'imported' cars - how does it affect insurance ??

C.