Which pads for carbon rims?

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Which are better?

Swissstop Flash Pro Black Prince
Swissstop Flash Evo Black Prince

Or are there better for around the same price?

Wheels are DT Swiss RRC65 Dicuts.

Thanks

J
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've been told that the lifeline (wiggle own) carbon ones are very good in comparison.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It depends on the rim. I use xamapnolo pads on mine but they won't be the best for other rims.you have to do experiment unless someone has test a variety of pads on your rims already. Bluntly you won't get a god answer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I've been told that the lifeline (wiggle own) carbon ones are very good in comparison.

I think it depends on the type of carbon braking surface. The Wiggle pads were awesome on my previous Wheelsmith Aero Dimpled wheels but aren't great on my Vision Metron 40's.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Always use Wiggle own brand, actually think they are better than Swisstop. They perhaps don't last as long but nowhere near the time difference that warrants them being 10 times the price.
  • As dstev said different rim/pad combos will produce different results. I haven't noticed much difference across the swiss stop range, wouldn't say any perform better than the others in particular. As others have mentioned the Wiggle lifeline pads are just as good as far more expensive options and at that price worth giving a try.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Using Campagnolo red pads on Prime wheels - they work great, no difference from Swissstop BPX on aluminium in the dry. I haven't been caught out in the rain with them yet.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    JesseD wrote:
    Which are better?

Swissstop Flash Pro Black Prince
    Swissstop Flash Evo Black Prince

pro/evo use the same compound

the evo is a low profile pad designed to give extra clearance if rim width is too much for the calipers

unless you need that extra clearance the pro version is the best because the thicker pads will take longer to wear down
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited April 2018
    I have zipp pads on 303s and they are nothing like the £5 for4 I got from planet X on my cheap Chinese wheels from China

I've just given them a good clean and scrubbed the pads but I'm not holding out for much.

EDIT: I mean the cheap p-x ones were way better.

Only branded pads which seem to get good reviews are red campag ones on their own wheels.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Had swisstop yellow on Reynolds assaults and fulcrum racing speed xlr and they were abysmal. The wiggle lifeline ones have been way better.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Reynolds Cryo or SS Black Prince.

Most branded pads (Zipp, Enve etc) are all SS.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I use the flash evo to give a bit of clearance with 28mm rims, tried a few different ones, these tend to squeal a bit though
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    for the sake of a couple of quid I have ordered the Lifeline ones to see if they work for me, if not then I will try the more expensive one from SwissStop or similar.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!