Chain Quick Link replacement

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Recently put a new chain on my roadbike but re-used the quick link. It's my summer bike so haven't used it yet. It got me to thinking though, does the quick link need changing with the new chain, do they wear?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't you get a new one with the chain anyway?

But depends on the chain and link, some are reusable, some are intended for single use.

I reuse them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Of course they wear. How many times you can safely reuse the reusable ones I'm not sure. I used to fit Shimano chains with KMC links and reuse the links on several chains in succession.

But then had a link fall apart when cleaning a chain, so now I tend to use KMC chains and bin the worn links.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    cooldad wrote:
    Don't you get a new one with the chain anyway?

But depends on the chain and link, some are reusable, some are intended for single use.

I reuse them.
    They're reusable in the sense that you can disconnect them to remove the chain from the bike for cleaning (or extend the chain, or any other reason that you might want to break the chain without replacing it).

They aren't reusable in the sense that you should keep using the old one when you get a new chain.

If you're particularly tight or don't have one to hand you can use one across a couple of chain wear lifetimes, but I doubt anyone would recommend it (and I'd make extra sure to take a spare one in your saddlebag in case it does fail).

Buy SRAM or KMC chains and you get a quicklink with them so it isn't even an issue.