Boardman team carbon brakes upgrade

3wheeler
3wheeler Posts: 110
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I'm looking at upgrading the calipers on my 2015 boardman. As far as I can tell it currently has tektro R540 calipers with Shimano Tiagra brake/shifters (4603). The calipers I'd like to get are Shimano 105s (5800).

Has anyone done this upgrade on a boardman and did it work?

I'm interested in the real world experience having read through countless threads discussing compatibility of the brake/shifter and caliper (Super SLR etc) and the drop of the caliper (tektro looks like 39-51cm, 5800s look like 39-49).

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are you expecting to achieve by 'upgrading'..? I would try changing the pads in the first instance, as there's nothing inherently wrong with the Tektro calipers..
  • 3wheeler
    Aim is to improve brake performance. From what I've read although the tektro are not bad calipers the 105s are a step up in performance, even with better pads - which I'd plan to replace on either caliper.
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    I have a Boardman team carbon with full ultegra 6800 inc brakes and swisstop salmon the brakes work great but can’t compare as I built it up from a frame . I had 105 5800 on my Trek Madone that had non branded brakes and there was a big difference stopping power was much better and that was using the standard parts .
    Hope this helps .
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I have a 2016/7 Boardman Team Carbon and upgraded my calipers from Tektro to Shiamno 105s and also swapped the pads to Swissstop Flash Evo BXP pads. I found them a good upgrade and definitely worth doing for me.
    I went on my Summer bike, black and yellow Team Carbon the other week for the first time in months and I nearly came off as the brakes were that sharp, forgot for a moment as been using my winter bike with sh*t brakes lol.

If you pick the calipers up cheap/second hand then go for it. I don't regret doing the upgrade.
    Regards.
    Tony.
  • 3wheeler
    Thanks TonySJ and Sportiveman, exactly what I wanted to know. Will get onto ordering a set and some decent pads now, I think it's a good value upgrade for about £50.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you get new callipers the stock Shimano pads are excellent.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I have a 2016 Team Carbon, originally with Tiagre 4700 STi levers connected to Tektro R540 calipers, on which I upgraded the pads to Swissstop Flash Evo BXP pads and then the calipers to Shimano Ultegra 6800's.

The Swissstop pads improved braking a lot, but the calliper-change was a revelation. The braking went from uninspired to confidence-boosting in one fell swoop, they're still not as good as discs, but they do feel as though they'll stop me (which at times the Tektro's didn't).

From my research, all under-bar-tape cable routing STi levers are compatible with Shiamno's range of recent calipers, but the older external-routed levers' pull-ratio is incompatible with the newer calipers such as the 6800's I fitted.
  • requiem
    requiem Posts: 57
    I happen to have a pair of great condition (2000km use) 5800 calipers for sale if interested..do feel free to pm me
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    S_J_P wrote:
    From my research, all under-bar-tape cable routing STi levers are compatible with Shiamno's range of recent calipers, but the older external-routed levers' pull-ratio is incompatible with the newer calipers such as the 6800's I fitted.

Incompatible according to Shimano that is.

I have older 5600 levers operating 5800 calipers with the standard Shimano brake blocks and they are phenomenally good.
  • 3wheeler
    keef66 wrote:
    S_J_P wrote:

Incompatible according to Shimano that is.

I have older 5600 levers operating 5800 calipers with the standard Shimano brake blocks and they are phenomenally good.

I did read about the compatibility issue but according to Shimano they ARE compatible, this includes Tiagra 4600 which have the cables coming out of the side. And more importantly I've fitted them and they work fine - in fact much better than fine :D