SKS Chromoplastic failure?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited April 2018 in Road general
This might be like asking if I should pull a plug out with wet hands or eat raw sausages but how dodgy is it riding it with a cracked front mudguard.....

My SKS Chromoplastic P35 has cracked under the fork, behind the brake bridge attachment. The cracks come in from the edges on both sides towards the centre. I thought these were an aluminium/plastic mix and I'm guessing it's not failed as the aluminium strip is intact.

It's been rattling for a while but I'm just wondering if anyone has had one fail completely while out riding. I could do with them lasting a few rides more, can live with the annoying buzz but don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere with broken guards.

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Happened to mine, I complained to SKS directly including some photos and they replaced them for free. Great service, I always wonder whether posting up my progress on here made a difference to them?
  • londoncommuter
    craker wrote:
    Happened to mine, I complained to SKS directly including some photos and they replaced them for free. Great service, I always wonder whether posting up my progress on here made a difference to them?

Yes, they're kindly sending me out a replacement set. I just wonder if they actually fail fail completely so to speak when the plastic cracks or if I've got some time left. The front bit won't ever fall off a it's bolted on to the brakes and the crack is behind it. The rear bit has the two stays from the fork but would be unsupported at the front if it severs properly.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Bang some duck tape on it as a back up measure until New ones arrive. Will look sh*t but better safe than crunch/crack/splat lol.
  • londoncommuter
    TonySJ wrote:
    Bang some duck tape on it as a back up measure until New ones arrive. Will look sh*t but better safe than crunch/crack/splat lol.

Excellent. You know all I was after was someone to agree with my already chosen stupid course of action!

I put loads of electrical tape on the underside of the fork to stop it being scratched as that seemed more of a priority than my health & safety. Not sure non-cyclists could ever understand our love of nice kit.....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    TonySJ wrote:
    Chromoplastics have the quick release mounts that pop out if the guard sticks into the wheel so as to prevent* the crunch/crack/superman/splat scenario. I think the superman stage of the aforementioned scenario is the most important for style awards.

* probably
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    £3.50 for a huge roll of duct tape from Screwfix vs ££££s for reconstructive dental work and a face like a dropped lasagne....I know which I'd choose

Get the black tape and it will be pretty much invisible on a black mudguard. Do it inside and out for extra strength.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    All mine have gone this way eventually. They just aren't robust enough to withstand that type of bridge.

Even fully moulded plastic cheapies last longer.

I've given up on them and fitted some full aluminium ones. They were twice the price but I'm betting they last more than twice as long.
  • londoncommuter
    All mine have gone this way eventually. They just aren't robust enough to withstand that type of bridge.

Even fully moulded plastic cheapies last longer.

I've given up on them and fitted some full aluminium ones. They were twice the price but I'm betting they last more than twice as long.

Ooh, what sort did you go for? Can you chip into this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13090618

I'd more or less decided on the Radial ones until finding out they're discontinued.
  • I had a rear SKS mudgaurd that broke in two places within a couple of weeks which was replaced by the LBS that I bought it from. The second one lasted a few months before failing in the same way, but only breaking in one place this time. I didn't go back to the LBS because I didn't want to fit them again, so I ordered Tortec Reflectors online instead which have lasted over four years now. I think they look a little more attractive too.
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    SKS mudguards are crap basically. A pain to fit and adjust and not built for the stresses of bumpy UK roads Unfortunately there aren't many decent alternatives.

Although mind, I never cracked a front SKS mudguard, only the rears which always cracked behind the brake bridge fixing from road vibrations. I think I cracked 3 rear guards + 2 of the bridges when they used to be made out of aluminium (they changed them to plastic bridges at some point I think).

Managed to get one set of free mudguards after complaining to SKS about my troubles.

I've got some Tortec guards now which are essentially exactly the same design as the SKS guards down to the really annoying fixings for the stays. But they seem a bit more durable and have survived a whole winter without showing any signs of cracking so far.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tortec-Reflect ... gIEY_D_BwE