Which Cable Outer?

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
The outer cable on my dropper post has corroded at the seatpost end and the cable doesn't return without assistance. Does anyone make stainless outer cables?

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Think water has got in damaged the outer cable ferrule. i'd just replace it with a piece of shimano sp41 and new plastic cable ferrule.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any decent gear cable outer, Shimano, Jagwire, Ashima etc.will do the job.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Or if you really want to end rusting, then there is mini I link and nokon: short aluminium segments that clip together inside which runs a liner for the gear cable.

they can run in a tighter radius and save some weight but not cheap.

I find Jagwire is as good as shimano but cheaper and available in more colour options.

I seem to recall there being outer cable made from glass fibre strands instead of steel but can't remember the name.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    .... Just found this, kcnc outer with alloy instead of steel strands, £10 for 2m.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=357
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clarks do similar,. the zero-g, I got a set from CRC for just over £10, using it for the 170cm rear cable (full length outer) on my Whyte and shift quality is very good.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Thanks, that Clarks outer looks to be just the ticket.