Details of Shimano 105 R7000 have been leaked

joe_totale-2
joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
edited May 2018 in Road general
More information here:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-105- ... first-look

No surprises at all, some trickle down from Ultegra with the rear derailleur utilising the Shadow design and increasing it's capacity. There'll be new 105 branded disk brake parts and the hydraulic shifters look a bit less ugly as well.

Some people were hopeful of 105 di2 but no mention of it here and I think that would have always been unlikely.

Comments

• New set of levers for my bike then to replace the 505s, make it look a bit prettier :mrgreen:
  • Shame , nothing about Di2 105 . That would have been sweet .
  • So, have I got this right - with the new derailleur I could have 52/36 in the front, but with an 11-34 in the back? Thus giving a bigger top gear than I currently have with 50/34 and 11/32, yet keeping exactly the same bailout gear for tough climbs?

If so, that’s going straight on when it comes out.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    So, have I got this right - with the new derailleur I could have 52/36 in the front, but with an 11-34 in the back? Thus giving a bigger top gear than I currently have with 50/34 and 11/32, yet keeping exactly the same bailout gear for tough climbs?

And huge gaps between gears.

I'm close to taking the 11-32 off my winter bike and replacing it with an 11-28 such is the frustration I sometimes get in not being able to find the right gear on the flat.
  • dstev55 wrote:
    And huge gaps between gears.
    I don’t mind gaps that much, I’m happy to vary cadence a bit as the price of having a wider range.
  • Shame , nothing about Di2 105 . That would have been sweet .

I think it'll still be a while yet before they have Di2 trickle down to 105 level.

Shimano have made the new 105 groupsets so good it's hard to justify going any further up the range (besides Di2) unless you're looking to save a few more grams from your ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    But for somebody running 11 year old 5600 gear this looks like a big step forward, so I might treat my best bike.

I'll probably get new wheels too; I don't want to be restricted to the gappy 11-34 cassette on my 10 speed only RS10s. The rims are pretty worn, 2 of the bearing cups are starting to corrode, and several of the rear DS spokes have been chewed by the chain so they owe me nothing :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I m confused about the 10 speed compatibility

Would you be able to run this new 105 gruppo - with older 10 speed wheels ?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    So, have I got this right - with the new derailleur I could have 52/36 in the front, but with an 11-34 in the back? Thus giving a bigger top gear than I currently have with 50/34 and 11/32, yet keeping exactly the same bailout gear for tough climbs?

Seems a massive pain in the ar$e and a decent spend for an extra 1 1/2 mph.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    kingrollo wrote:

yes using the HG cassette. think its 11-34, and slightly narrower spacing. you'd also need the R7000 GS rear mech.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    philbar72 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

yes using the HG cassette. think its 11-34, and slightly narrower spacing. you'd also need the R7000 GS rear mech.

No change in spacing. What happens is that once the largest cog (34T cog in this case) is big enough (34T instead of 32T), it can fit around the inner side of the freehub (next to the spokes), rather than cinch up against it. That allows you to fit the 11th cog on the 10 speed freehub body (10 cogs sit on the freehub body and 1 hovers above it and sits next to the spokes).
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    CTP046 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

No change in spacing. What happens is that once the largest cog (34T cog in this case) is big enough (34T instead of 32T), it can fit around the inner side of the freehub (next to the spokes), rather than cinch up against it. That allows you to fit the 11th cog on the 10 speed freehub body (10 cogs sit on the freehub body and 1 hovers above it and sits next to the spokes).

Bloody hell, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27

I currently have 52/36 and 11/36 on 105 5800 using a Wolf Tooth Road Link. I don't struggle with the gaps in gearing, but could be that I just don't know any better. Couldn't live without it on 25% climbs.

50/34 11/34 might be a better option as I rarely need to use 52/11, but it was cheaper to replace the cassette than the chainrings.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    dstev55 wrote:
    CTP046 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Bloody hell, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

I'ts been working for mountain bikers for more than a little while.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    keef66 wrote:
    But for somebody running 11 year old 5600 gear this looks like a big step forward, so I might treat my best bike.

I'll probably get new wheels too; I don't want to be restricted to the gappy 11-34 cassette on my 10 speed only RS10s. The rims are pretty worn, 2 of the bearing cups are starting to corrode, and several of the rear DS spokes have been chewed by the chain so they owe me nothing :D

agreed it looks good but be happy in the knowledge everything so far that come after the 5600 groupset was definitely a downgrade, I love my 5600, still going strong and shifts perfect every time.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    that what I think too. 8 and 9 speed was the pinicale of shimano shifting. I am struggling to see why people will buy this gorupset. If was only 5 minutes ago 5800 came out. The life cycle of the groupset is getting shorter and is an ominous sign.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I am struggling to see why people will buy this gorupset..

It's cheaper than the 5800 groupset and apparently smoother/ better.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm struggling to see how they can make 105 also Di2. The differences in operation and performance between the latest Ultegra and Dura Ace versions are nil, with weight from use of different materials being the only difference. What can they do as a 105 version to make it different to Ultegra? Di2 is already a weight penalty so making 105 Di2 out of even heavier materials would seem to be not worth it to me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    that what I think too. 8 and 9 speed was the pinicale of shimano shifting. I am struggling to see why people will buy this gorupset. If was only 5 minutes ago 5800 came out. The life cycle of the groupset is getting shorter and is an ominous sign.

I must say the best shifting is with the old 9 speed Tiagra on my winter bike. Plus replacing gear cables is a doddle with the older series stuff.
  • Before getting too excited by the hype: I've had an awful problem with my FD 5801 which is the interim FD slipped in quietly for 2018 release bikes by Shimano. Basically it is the R7000 FD and works on the same principle as Ultegra R8000 and Dura Ace R9000 ie it has a couple of small links in place of the long arm pulling point of eg 5800/6800 etc and an onboard cable tension adjuster..

The thing is a bitch to set up - my new Trek ALR5 Disc came with the FD badly set up with the bottom trim position missing. No amount of fettling could make the thing work properly.

Took at back to the LBS and they spent 45 minutes trying to sort it to no avail - they admitted that they were having problems getting them to work as intended.

Using the chat facility on Trek's website I 'spoke' to the US technical dept and they admitted that the FD's were difficult to set up correctly.

in the end my LBS removed the FD 5801 and replaced it with its predecessor the long armed 5800 which shifts beautifully.

Beware the hype is all I can say.
  • keef66
    Hmm. Think I'll either pick up an outgoing 5800 groupset or maybe eke a few more years out of my 5600 which to be fair is still in good nick and fully functional.

Not sure how desperate I am to acquire an extra sprocket or tidy up the cable routing on the bars at the expense of an uglier chainset...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    keef66 wrote:
    Hmm. Think I'll either pick up an outgoing 5800 groupset or maybe eke a few more years out of my 5600 which to be fair is still in good nick and fully functional.

I replaced 5600 with 5800 last autumn and the difference in feel and use is quite noticeable.
  • fukawitribe
    fukawitribe Posts: 109
    itboffin wrote:
    be happy in the knowledge everything so far that come after the 5600 groupset was definitely a downgrade
    This opinion comment would be based on what, precisely ? A significant amount of experience with the subsequent three versions of the groupset or the fact you like the 5600 ?
  • fukawitribe
    fukawitribe Posts: 109
    Before getting too excited by the hype: I've had an awful problem with my FD 5801 which is the interim FD slipped in quietly for 2018 release bikes by Shimano. Basically it is the R7000 FD and works on the same principle as Ultegra R8000 and Dura Ace R9000 ie it has a couple of small links in place of the long arm pulling point of eg 5800/6800 etc and an onboard cable tension adjuster..

The thing is a ***** to set up - my new Trek ALR5 Disc came with the FD badly set up with the bottom trim position missing. No amount of fettling could make the thing work properly.

Took at back to the LBS and they spent 45 minutes trying to sort it to no avail - they admitted that they were having problems getting them to work as intended.

Using the chat facility on Trek's website I 'spoke' to the US technical dept and they admitted that the FD's were difficult to set up correctly.

in the end my LBS removed the FD 5801 and replaced it with its predecessor the long armed 5800 which shifts beautifully.

Beware the hype is all I can say.
    Interesting, I was chatting with a mechanic a few months back who was bemoaning the 6800 FD as great shifting but a bit shit to set up from scratch (I'd agree) and liking the cable placement/access and setup on the newer R8000. I wonder if they've screwed up something with the design for 5801/R7000 ?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    re the front mechs. the R8000/9100 front mech is great to set up, much easier than the outgoing long armed 9000/ 6800. The rear mechs a re a bit of a faff ( fitted 8000 and 9100) but no more difficult than the 6800/9000 before them.