New car brokers/car discount outfits

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,608
    If you are happy to throw money away, then no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've also recommended them to plenty of other people and have, to date, "sold" some 20ish cars for them on that basis (not including the 14 my family have had from them)..

Your family are better to car dealers than mine. I make it that my near family have bought about 11 cars in 50 years! And, of those, only about 6 will have come from dealers......
    8 cars in 37 years for me, and the current one is expected to last another 7 years.

On a personal level it is 5 cars in 28 years - current one will probably see me out. A Saab 900 (the real sort) which, at the rate I'm going, will take me a decade just to get it up to 100,000 miles by which time it should be properly run in.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,185
    I'm up to 11 since the late 80's (including a couple of company cars), although we have been a 2 car household for most of the last 20 years.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've also recommended them to plenty of other people and have, to date, "sold" some 20ish cars for them on that basis (not including the 14 my family have had from them)..

Your family are better to car dealers than mine. I make it that my near family have bought about 11 cars in 50 years! And, of those, only about 6 will have come from dealers......
    8 cars in 37 years for me, and the current one is expected to last another 7 years.

On a personal level it is 5 cars in 28 years - current one will probably see me out. A Saab 900 (the real sort) which, at the rate I'm going, will take me a decade just to get it up to 100,000 miles by which time it should be properly run in.
    Lets do it cars per 1,000,000 miles then. I do 25k miles per year. I am currently at 8 cars and 925,000 miles. This car will see me break the 1 million mark. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    I prefer to go for quality not quantity :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Miles or cars?
    Irrelevant anyway as that'll amount to 500,000 miles for fun, in good cars.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Both.

Good is relative.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Both.

Good is relative.

I'm glad you have been listening to me! :D

I used to do about 10k plus a year (a lot of that commuting) but now do about 2000 miles per year and 5000 bike commuting so my mileage is nowhere near what it once was. But I've probably done a bit over 200000 miles the vast majority of which (probably 175000) was in one car with the rest shared equally between the other four cars.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    I'm on 7 (2 company cars) now since '99, only had the current one 9 months so reckon another 10 years or so from it. Just broken in with 129k.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    14 cars in 37 years, 5 privately owned and the rest company cars.

Wife's motoring has been extremely cost effective; she's had her present car for nearly 16 years. Bought it @ 12k miles and 6 months old; apart from wear items all it's ever needed is a cambelt and coil pack.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mouth wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

14 cars and 2 motorbikes in less than 20 years for me. This doesn't include wife cars. Am I doing something wrong?

Ah, I didn't mention motorbikes........there's been a few of them. And three currently in the garage.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I prefer to go for quality not quantity :wink:

Quality is not in doubt with any of the cars we've had - which (along with the prices and service offered) is why we're happy to stick with that brand. What is different is requirements, financial position, desire etc. So we've changed a few.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris