Optimum shoe fit

Jam29
Jam29 Posts: 16
edited June 2018 in Road beginners
I have bought my first pair of SPD shoes (Fizik R4B) and have a question about the optimum fit. The shoes are fine width wise but I seem to have 15mm from my toes to the end of the shoes. So are these too long and would I be better off going down half a size?

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I would try try a pair on if I was you, But probably a full size smaller might be better
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Congrats on discovering the inherent limitations of buying shoes on the internet. If the fit is inconsistent, then you would probably be better off looking for a different shoe altogether - preferably one you can try on before purchase..
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Jam29 wrote:
    I have bought my first pair of SPD shoes (Fizik R4B) and have a question about the optimum fit. The shoes are fine width wise but I seem to have 15mm from my toes to the end of the shoes. So are these too long and would I be better off going down half a size?
    Better to have enough space than too little at the toes. The important thing is the fit over the top of your foot as when you pedal you're mainly pressing down and pulling back (wiping) when peddling a full circle. My RB1's have a similar amount of toes space, it hasn't been problem top me so far, whereas my Sidi Genius shoes are a 'smaller' fit and have caused width issues when feet get hot/swell. The main thing is you're happy, impossible to tell off the bike, and once you use 'em, you can't send them back. If poss try them on a trainer being extra careful not to mark the soles.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • photojim
    photojim Posts: 11
    Too big is far preferable to too small in cycling. As long as they are snug around the middle of your foot and not slipping off the heel I wouldn't worry too much. My usual shoes are size 42, but cycling shoes from some makes for me can be 44.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    If the width is right and the heel doesn't slip up when done up at a normal tension I wouldn't worry too much about the length. However, it does seem like a wider/shorter shoe would fit better. I think Fizik shoes are on the narrower side of things.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    A poor fit is just that. Some brands cater better for wider feet than others. Buy according to fit not aethetics.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Only you can tell. Order the two sizes smaller than you have and then see whats more comfy. You definitely need wriggle room though.
  • Jam29
    Thought I would update as I have now been using the shoes for a few rides. I was between a size 43.5 and 44. In the end I stuck with the 44. I also visited a shop which I won't name. It was a 2 hour drive as they were the only shop I could find who had the half size in stock. Anyway wasn't impressed. I tried the shoes on and was told only I can tell if they are too small so seems pointless going to a shop if thats all the help they give with fitting. Maybe other shops are better?

Anyway the shoes have been great and the boa is great being able to tweak on the go.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Jam29 wrote:
    Thought I would update as I have now been using the shoes for a few rides. I was between a size 43.5 and 44. In the end I stuck with the 44. I also visited a shop which I won't name. It was a 2 hour drive as they were the only shop I could find who had the half size in stock. Anyway wasn't impressed. I tried the shoes on and was told only I can tell if they are too small so seems pointless going to a shop if thats all the help they give with fitting. Maybe other shops are better?

Anyway the shoes have been great and the boa is great being able to tweak on the go.

Not having a go but am I missing something here? What response were you expecting? When you buy ordinary shoes, who judges them a comfortable fit?
  • Jam29
    Thats alright. No offence taken. In the end the shoes I ordered online have been fine so all good.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    When I bought my shoes late last year on line I took the advice of the reviewers who said to get a size larger than I normally would. Result a perfect fit. I love my new shoes! My old pair was too wide..
  • bretttt
    bretttt Posts: 11
    i found the same thing, going one size larger to what i am in usual shoes.

Defaintly feel better and no heal slipping, yet have the similar room in the front like OP