Rate the race: Ronde Van Vlanderen 2018

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
edited April 2018 in Pro race
Solid 6/10 from me.

A fairly open but cagey affair with Boonen and Cancellara relegated to the history books. No real cast iron certs, but a lot of potential winners lead to a race where no-one was willing to gamble the house until Terpstra went.

A good ride from him to win, with a well timed attack, though maybe disappointing from Sagan, GVA and Kwiatkowski.

While I do like a good solo win, unless it's from superheroic distance I prefer a winner from a small group to add some tactical spice to the end of the race.

Would have been a 5 but for Mads Pedersen's epic ride for 2nd place, which was just about the only excitement for the last 10km.

Nibali making a decent fist of it in his first Ronde was also worth watching.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    Obviously, all ratings are entirely subjective until we can get a official rating from iainf
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    edited April 2018
    Better than a 6 I think.... A solid 8 for me - none of the top riders taken out by crashes, and a good display of team riding in the final.

I'll be honest that for me the only way for a 10 is a muddy & competitive Roubaix.

*Crosses Fingers*
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    When you hit reply, rather than edit :(
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    7 probably for me.

Make a poll!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    5 for me, including the obligatory deduction for Carlton on commentary. Enjoyed the race yesterday far more, along with E3.
  • 7.5ish
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    7 probably for me.

Make a poll!

Sory, the St Feiuuuueieieleleieieien has addled my brain.
    Poll now created.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Solid 6 for me too.

The race seemed very open going into the final phase and looked as if it might completely blow apart over the Taaienberg. But it never came to a crescendo because no one could really make any impact on Terpstra's lead. So quite a few levels below 2014.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    4 for me, very little action, one of the rare occasions MSR outdid Flanders.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    6 for me.. made by parents and even my non sports watching brother watch it.. took far too long for the race to actually get going.. nice effort from Sagan at the end but by then the race was virtually over..
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    6/10 for me. Gets an extra point for Terpstra winning as I was on at 10/1 after about 3 years of 2nd and 3rd places in the classics for my selections.
    All the gear and no idea...