Road side litter

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited April 2018 in Road general
Maybe this new idea of bottle deposit scheme will help tidy the road verges up abit?

I reckon about 1/3 of litter is plastic bottles. Rest is mostly beer cans, energy drink cans & coffee cups, and fast food packaging.

Comments

• Follow a sportive route later in the day/ week and see literally hundreds of gel wrappers etc.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Maybe this new idea of bottle deposit scheme will help tidy the road verges up abit?

I reckon about 1/3 of litter is plastic bottles. Rest is mostly beer cans, energy drink cans & coffee cups, and fast food packaging.

I doubt it. Chavs will be chavs. Cyclists should be above that, but sadly not it seems.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Follow a sportive route later in the day/ week and see literally hundreds of gel wrappers etc.
    Commented on this during the Cheshire Cat ...some cracking scenery and roads (pot holes aside) somewhat spoilt by gel/energy bar wrappers adding to the litter problem :(
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Follow a sportive route later in the day/ week and see literally hundreds of gel wrappers etc.

yes did one the other week, you could have just followed the trail of gel wrappers round rather than the signs, so annoying and depressing, why do people just discard them like that ? thats partly rhetorical question really

the thing with the bottle tax Im confused with though, all my plastic bottles go in the recycling bin, but now if I do that Im going to paying 20p more, which doesnt seem right does it Im recycling the damn things, its bad enough having box fulls of glass bottles at home to take to a bottle bank in bulk, but so now they say Ive got to do it with plastic too ?? and somehow take it to a place where someone, so obviously its got to be somewhere where someone is paid to count your bottles in to give me money back in return for them ? this all seems a bit of a daft badly thought out way to do it IMO.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The deposit needs to be punitive - £1 - so the bottles are returned. It works in Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark,... With the side effect of kids/tramps/etc collecting discarded bottles and tidying the place up.

Anyone caught littering should be put out on a chaingang (not the bicycle kind) in a pink jumpsuit picking litter for a week *and* a punitive fine on top. Probably wouldn't have to have too many people actually do the chaingang once word got out that the chances of being caught are not near zero & the punishment draconian.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Anyone littering on a sportive should be disqualified and barred from entering ever again. If you get done for littering in a triathlon it's a DQ and some of them cost £100s to enter.

Ridiculous to think people can want to ride in lovely scenery and throw their litter about.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    cougie wrote:
    Ridiculous to think people can want to ride in lovely scenery and throw their litter about.
    Pro cyclist wannabes.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Big fat sportive riders thinking they're super pros in the peloton. You see it in road races and I've reprimanded and reported a few people for throwing gels. Little cocks.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    The flip side of a bottle deposit scheme is that it can be an income of sorts.

At least in BC, that's what happens - even with a 5 cent deposit. In urban areas, people started rifling through bins, including wheelie bins and recycling bins outside houses and apartments. To stop this from happening, or to make "charitable deposits", people then start just leaving cans and bottles next to bins rather than in them. In turn, the deposit recovery points at supermarkets became something of a meeting point for the homeless.

I was always in two minds about whether this was a good thing, or whether paying 5 cents to fund a council recycling programme would have been a better idea (i.e. not a deposit). I think the former, because it encourages other forms of recycling - but not everyone in the UK will be happy if the people visiting Waitrose lower the tone.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    The deposit needs to be punitive......

Given that a large proportion of the human race seems determined to wreck the planet with litter, the death sentence might work - you would only need to kill one or two pour encourager les autres.

Having read that in preview, I now realise that I might only be half joking!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    ayjaycee wrote:

You've got my vote :mrgreen:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Has it got worse in say the last 25 years then?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ayjaycee wrote:
    The deposit needs to be punitive......

Given that a large proportion of the human race seems determined to wreck the planet with litter, the death sentence might work - you would only need to kill one or two pour encourager les autres.

You beat me to it, I was going to suggest a 'shoot on sight' policy for people throwing litter.

You'd be amazed at how many forest entrances in the middle of nowhere I come across* which have at least one bag of sh1te lying, to the point where our managers have a skip at their offices which is filled regularly.

*For work, not 'other' activities... :wink:
  • thesledge
    thesledge Posts: 46
    It’s really not very difficult to retain empty gel sachets - I slip them into a wee plastic bag (dog scoop type) that I put in my jersey pocket for the job. Or drop them inside my water bottle. Improves the taste (of the water) no end.

Not sure whether general littering has got worse in the last 10 years but fly tipping definitely has, especially in South Yorkshire.
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    people are copying the pros hurling gel wrappers and bidons...seen people on sportives launch bidons before now.

The pro should set an example and stop doing it
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    backo wrote:
    people are copying the pros hurling gel wrappers and bidons...seen people on sportives launch bidons before now.

Civvies launching bidons are proper tits.

I find it amazing in this day and age that the pro events can't at least have discard zones.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    DavidJB wrote:
    Big fat sportive riders thinking they're super pros in the peloton. You see it in road races and I've reprimanded and reported a few people for throwing gels. Little cocks.

Shouted at riders doing exactly the same in road races myself.....makes my p1ss boil.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    backo wrote:

Do adults need somebody to set an example before they stop doing something which they know to be wrong?

No, is the answer you're looking for.
  • Motogull wrote:
    backo wrote:

Civvies launching bidons are proper tits.

I find it amazing in this day and age that the pro events can't at least have discard zones.

They do or at least some do.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Gel wrappers are easy enough; I roll mine up to get the last drop out, then it slides neatly between bottle cage and down or seat tube.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Have never used energy stuff*. I think it is overpriced snake-oil for suckers.

* I lie, did once in the mountains and thought "never again".
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    SheffSimon wrote:
    backo wrote:

Do adults need somebody to set an example before they stop doing something which they know to be wrong?

No, is the answer you're looking for.

Its actually not the answer though is it :roll:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Robert88 wrote:
    Have never used energy stuff*. I think it is overpriced snake-oil for suckers.

* I lie, did once in the mountains and thought "never again".

maybe not all gels are created equally though,or the point at which you use them is key, ok Id hardly claim these were scientific observations :) I try to keep gels as a just in case and Ive certainly tried some and thought well whatever its doing hasnt materially obviously giving me a boost, but Ive also had them where Ive gone from feeling pretty crushed energy wise and dead in the legs on a long ride, taking one, and then finding Im all perky and back up for riding again.

snake oil placebo maybe, but if it does that kind of trick Im not going to argue, just no need to drop the wrappers except in anything over than a bin
  • louman999
    louman999 Posts: 90
    Moonbiker wrote:

I don’t see many bottles be thrown into ditches mainly McDonald’s.
  • I went up one of my favourite climbs the other day and pulled into the layby at the top, and amongst the general litter you see in every layby were a couple of gel wrappers. These have been left by cyclists that have pulled into the side to have a breather and take in a bit of nutrition, they have all the time in the world to stash the wrapper somewhere and still can't be arsed. Shitheads.
  • Trouble is, cyclists like rest of humanity. Still are good, some are arseholes. Will always be that way.