Can I use XTR callipers with Ultegra Di2 shifters?

Livewire
Livewire Posts: 91
edited April 2018 in Cyclocross
I am in the process of upgrading my existing Ultegra mechanical group set to Ultegra Di2.

My bike already has Shimano RS785 callipers but I would like to change them to the latest Shimano XTR BR-M9020 callipers, mainly for asthetic purposes as the XTR callipers look a lot nicer than the RS785's. I have heard (read on the internet) that hydraulic road leavers have been mated to XTR callipers before with no issue but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with using MTB callipers with road bike leavers.

I believe the RS785 callipers are basically MTB Shimano XT callipers so what I am looking to do should hopefully be possible, the only thing I am worried about is the latest XTR callipers may require more volume of brake fluid to be moved in order for the callipers to work properly?

PS; The Di2 group set I purchased came with flat mount Ultegra callipers but my bike takes post mount callipers. I have some money to burn so am not bothered if the swap will improve the braking power, I just want the bike to look the way I want it.

Comments