The GT Zaskar...

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited April 2018 in MTB general
Back in the 90s this was pretty much the benchmark that other hardtails were measured against as far as I can remember and it was something I always aspired to own at some point.

Fast forward to today, I can't even find a review of it anywhere!

2 questions, firstly... what happened to GT?

Secondly, has anyone ridden one, was it any good? It looks perfect for what I want it for (A bit of mucking around on the local trails and some XC racing)

I can get one at my LBS but they don't stock them so it's unlikely I'll get a test ride.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/zaska ... rt-9r-1366

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the UK they screwed up when they dropped their deal with Halfords without getting a replacement importer/dealer network in place to replace it.

They still make some decent bikes, but like most big brand names it’s best to avoid the entry level stuff which sells on the name and not the ride.

It’s a decent looking spec, but what is the price?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paul 8v
    It's £2199, I'm not sure how that compares to the other similar models as I have no clue what the equivalent shimano groupsets are to the SRAM ones, Shimano I can understand pretty well but SRAM not so much!
  • The Rookie
    Erm that link shows it has Shimano?

Pretty well spaced including the latest Fox step cast forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Back in the 90s this was pretty much the benchmark that other hardtails were measured against as far as I can remember and it was something I always aspired to own at some point.

Kona fans might differ. I kind of like my '96 Explosif.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Paul 8v
    cooldad wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Kona fans might differ. I kind of like my '96 Explosif.

Yeah that was a great bike too. The Zaskar seemed to be everywhere though and it's pretty much disappeared now, that was what I was wondering about.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    My cousin has a 90’s Zaskar LE. Doubt he’s ridden it much since then.
    Can’t remember the last time I saw one.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I see a '95 Zaskar LE every time I go in the garage. Great bike in it's day but I don't fancy riding it now.
  • I own the Zasker Carbon Expert as posted in the original posts link. I've owned is since October, it's a very good hardtail. It's a real pleasure to ride and very well equiped.

The one and only fault I have with GT bikes today is the hubs fitted from stock are poor. Saying that they are sealed cartridge on the Zaskar and boost spacing, but they aren't Stans as per the rims they are GT's own and the free hub is probably the most dissaopinting part on the bike IMO. It's not bad - but it's not the quickest engagement and it's oddly totally silent when freewheeling.

I've had zero issues with the bike so far, and I love the way it feels and handles. The XT brakes are the best brakes I've ever encountered on a bike and all 3 of my bikes have hydraulic disks, but these are in another league.

The Fox Step Cast is IMO excellent and a much better fork than the Rockshox Reba on my other XC hardtail. The tyres are perfect for XC, tubeless tape is fitted from stock - but you'll need to remove the inner tubes yourself if you want to run it tubeless.

I'd buy mine again in heartbeat for the full RRP if I was in the same position again. I love the bike. You don't see loads of GTs these days you're right, but that is even better IMO. Why be like everyone else?
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks for replying, that is the only description I've found anywhere on the Internet from someone who's even ridden one, let alone owned one!

Do you use it for racing or just as a fast trails bike? I'm kind of thinking of using it for both.

I seem to remember GTs not being great on the mud clearance, where I live is about 99% clay so I do need a bit of clearance as I always end up with loads stuck to it.

The only other thing that worried me was the length of the seatpost, I'd be looking to swap it out for a carbon one as I've got a dodgy back but it looks really long. Is it a 400mm or is it longer?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Thanks for replying, that is the only description I've found anywhere on the Internet from someone who's even ridden one, let alone owned one!

Do you use it for racing or just as a fast trails bike? I'm kind of thinking of using it for both.

I seem to remember GTs not being great on the mud clearance, where I live is about 99% clay so I do need a bit of clearance as I always end up with loads stuck to it.

The only other thing that worried me was the length of the seatpost, I'd be looking to swap it out for a carbon one as I've got a dodgy back but it looks really long. Is it a 400mm or is it longer?

I use mine as a fast XC bike. Natural trails, fire roads, gravel tracks, fields, forestry etc... I also use it occasionally for XC events, but I’m limited on organised XC events in my area. The bike is an excellent XC bike, it’s very light. Mine is just over 10kg (size small), without water bottles etc...

I’ve never had a problem with mud clearance on any of the GTs I own. I have 3, a 1996 Talera 16 inch frame 26” wheels, a 2015 Avalanche Expert in a medium frame with 650b wheels and the new Zaskar Carbon Expert in a small frame 29” wheels.
    Mud isn’t an issue. I don’t have any tyres wider than 2.25” as for XC why would you?

The seatbpost on mine isn’t 400mm long ive got less than 300mm exposed above the frame. I’m 5’6” on the small frame if that helps. TBH the geometry is exactly what you’d expect from a modern XC bike, it’s seat post length etc isn’t going to differ from another brand.
  • Paul 8v
    That sounds pretty perfect for what I want it for then. And really light too!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

I'm really impressed with it's light weight. It's one of the noticeable positives when you ride it.

The bike is currently at a discount here...

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/gt_zaskar_ ... 8-ID_72949

That's where I bought mine from if it helps, they are reputable.
  • Paul 8v wrote:

I'm really impressed with it's light weight. It's one of the noticeable positives when you ride it.

The bike is currently at a discount here...

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/gt_zaskar_ ... 8-ID_72949

That's where I bought mine from if it helps, they are reputable.
  • Paul 8v
    Ah cool, I'm just waiting to see if my workplace will be doing the cycle to work scheme as it will save me a bit of money but that's a good saving there!
  • The Rookie
    C2W is usually limited to £1000......
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Rookie wrote:
    C2W is usually limited to £1000......

Plenty of C2W schemes that allow the user to top up.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris