Manufacturer ignorance

woodbutcherer
woodbutcherer Posts: 18
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Throughout my younger years the manufacturers which were prevalent were the likes of Trek, Cannondale, specialized, Giant, Raleigh, mongoose, diamond back "i know that the latter two are BMX" my point is this..

Im of the inclination to shop for manufacturers i recognise, but am finding that my ignorance isnt helping....as said in a previous post my budget top end is £1500, some of the members of this forum pointed me in the direction of some rather nice bikes, thank you.

I have singled out the Cannondale Synspse 105 Disc in alloy or the CAAD12 105 or poss Ultegra but Caliper not Disc im also waiting for a price for an Orro Tera 105 Disc which i believe is Carbon..

However, there are other manufacturers such as Cube, Merrida, Focus, Willier then Ribble and Planet X, the latter two internet only which i wont touch.

There are some really nice frames by manufacturers i know nothing about and feel i could be missing out as a result of my ignorance, are there manufacturers i should avoid please????

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Id sugest you ignore brand & focus on spec.

Ribble has being going yrs @ make quality bikes, also planet X bikes are good.

All the other brands listed also make good bikes, even raleigh do now since they were bought out.

I'd avoid apollo branded halfords bikes but they aren't in your budget
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    JIMO it’s a mistake discounting internet only bikes, I have a Canyon and a Planet X both excellent bikes and have been so from day one. There is also Rose bikes again very good bikes but internet only..
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    You can also visit Ribble/PlanetX in Preston/Rotherham if you really want, they're both bona fide UK retailers.

If you really want to confuse yourself start to look at which brands are actually owned by the same people. Then who make frames for each other.....

The only ones I'd avoid are those with poor warranty terms.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    planet X rock for the money - my crit and cx bike are both PX and they are really good: the crit bike (team super light) is more fun to ride than my Madone.

silly to negate this brand.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ribble have a store in Birmingham now also.
  • I think its important to say Thank you to those of you that helped me with my quest of buying a new road bike, Thank you.

In the end i bought a Boardman Air 9.0 Carbon Frame, Full Ultegra for £1400 from my Sports Therapist. The bike is in mint condition hardly used.
    When i dropped it to the club i ride with for the mechanic to fit it to me, he recognised the bike as being one he built, happy days.

Thanks again.