The Ronde "My Man" Sweepstake

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
edited April 2018 in Pro race
Back by popular demand!*

The Ronde "My Man" Sweepstake

Already made your PTP pick? You've put your fiver on Sagan each way? You're going to watch the entire race, waiting for Terpstra to show on Boonenberg, by which time your brain has become fuddled with Belgian ale and the inanity of of [insert commentator name here]'s off-topic ramblings and rider misidentification? What more is there to do, other than Make Your My Man Sweepstake Pick! With an official My Man Sweepstake entry you can while away those early hours spotting your randomly allocated rider moving to the front, dropping off to pick up water, having a wazz, chuting on a wet leaf or even climbing off his bike altogether at the first sight of an incline!

The Concept
Once you have been allocated an official The Ronde "My Man" Sweepstake rider, you will take him to your heart, love him, cherish him, cheer for him, defend him from uncharitable words and promote his glorious, brave actions whenever you spot him. You will leave the other posters on the spoiler thread in no doubt that without Your Man The Ronde this year would be a far poorer affair, and barely worth watching. Did one of his teammates get in the break? Not without Your Man's dedicated efforts to control the race until the right break went. Did a break go without a teammate in it? Only because Your Man executed his cunning tactical plan. Did Your Man crash? Only because of {a spectator/a moto/the knobmoomin in front of him} (delete as appropriate).

The Rules
You will pick a unique combination of two numbers, the first from 1-25, the second from 1-7 (both inclusive)
You will post these numbers in the form: {nn}-{n} in reply to this thread
From these numbers, after some h̶a̶l̶f̶-̶a̶r̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶i̶s̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶, entirely whole-arsed randomisation courtesy of a randomising spreadsheet created by ducknumber1, your rider will be drawn (̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶i̶s̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶g̶o̶r̶i̶t̶h̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶)̶
Once allocated, you must swear your undying love for and allegiance to Your Man
You will forego any impartiality, objectivity and rationality where these are to the detriment of evaluating Your Man's performance.
Prior commitments to other riders are deemed null ad void for the duration of the race and for the life of the spoiler thread.
EDIT: All entries to be received by 9:30 BST (Race coverage start)
Terms and conditions may apply

Points and prizes
The poster who amasses the largest number of My Man Points will win the Star Prize, which we got in a job lot of un-won 1980s speedboats from Jim Bowen (R.I.P.). In the event of a draw the Star Prize will be launched on the next Space X launch, to be collected on a first come first served basis from its orbit around Mars.

Points are earnt as following:

Your Man gets in the break: 0 pts
Your Man fetches water: 0pts
Your Man involved in a crash: 0pts
Your Man makes an attack: 0pts
Your Man eats something (including a gel): 0pts
Your Man wins the race: 0pts
Your Man's teammate wins the race: 0pts
Your Man not wearing gloves: 0pts
Your Man wearing shorts and no arm-warmers: 0pts
Your Man gets name mangled by commentator: 0pts
Your Man misidentified by commentator: 0pts
Your Man makes solo attack from the start and wins the race by crossing the finish line in a wheelie bunnyhop while waving his helmet like a rodeo cowboy: 0.5pts

Startlist (see who you could have won)
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/ro ... /startlist

*I thought it would be a laugh to reprise it

Terms and conditions

Maximum of one rider per poster
Rider allocation is final and non-negotiable**
No refunds
All your statutory rights are belong to us
In the event of no speedboat being available to the organiser, the Star Prize will revert to being entirely conceptual
**Except if significantly large bribes are offered and accepted

EDIT: Current picks, please make sure your number is unique:
Rick Chasey 24-2
ShutupJens 11-5
greasedscotsman 1-1
bobmcstuff 17-4
andyp 11-7
Mad_Malx 13-3
ducknumber1 6-2
niknak1 17-3
TwoToeBenny 05-03
No tA Doctor 12-6
Ridgerider 22-4
Blazing Saddles 21-7
Dorset Boy 19-1
DeadCalm 13-2
Sherer 13-6
Key 5-5
OCDuPalais 23-6
johnboy183 18-3
RichN95 18-7
indyP 17-7
Pross 10-6
inseine 23-4
M.R.M. 14-6
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    24-2
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Go on Doc. 11-5 thanks
  • I'll go for 1-1 pls.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    17-4 please
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    7 - 11 please
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    13-3
    I’ll try to work out what I’ve just signed up to later.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    6-2 please, thanks
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp wrote:
    7 - 11 please

Would that be 11-7 then? Or are you trying to get me to pop out to the shops to pick you up a couple of tinnies?
    You will pick a unique combination of two numbers, the first from 1-25, the second from 1-7 (both inclusive)
  • niknak1
    niknak1 Posts: 528
    17-4
    Cheers
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    edited March 2018
    05-3
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Seeing as there's live coverage and this game is probably more fun early on, I've updated the cut-off for entries to 9:30 BST (live coverage start).

My own entry: 12-6

I can't work out how to ensure I don't cheat on the randomisation, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it's honest.
    If you don't trust me, then try and work out a randomisation that leaves 12-6 as being Sagan and then work back from it to your own pick :-D
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    22. 4.

19.30 cut off???
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ridgerider wrote:
    22. 4.

19.30 cut off???

Bloody hell, I'm a knobmoomin.

9:30 BST cutoff.
  • ducknumber1
    I can't work out how to ensure I don't cheat on the randomisation, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it's honest.
    If you don't trust me, then try and work out a randomisation that leaves 12-6 as being Sagan and then work back from it to your own pick :-D

Slow day for me, keep refreshing this with Ctrl+R until Sagan is in the required cell (K12 will go green), copy and paste columns N & O as values:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U8HaLPoSd4YiOie1YMLXqTh2nv9xlBhvOkzLFL58_bA/edit?usp=sharing
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    andyp wrote:
    7 - 11 please

Would that be 11-7 then? Or are you trying to get me to pop out to the shops to pick you up a couple of tinnies?

:oops:

I thought I'd read and understood the options. Clearly not. Let's go for 11-7 then please.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    21-7 ta.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Slow day for me, keep refreshing this with Ctrl+R until Sagan is in the required cell (K12 will go green), copy and paste columns N & O as values:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U8HaLPoSd4YiOie1YMLXqTh2nv9xlBhvOkzLFL58_bA/edit?usp=sharing

:-D

That's bloody marvellous, though clearly nowhere near as half-arsed as I was going for.

Now how do I save it without re-randomising? :oops:
    DZn3gaUWAAECcRa.jpg:large
  • ducknumber1
    It's probably not technically against the rules to fix it this way, but I'm sure a commons committee could question the ethics :wink:

Anyway:
    1. Highlight columns N & O
    2. Ctrl & C to copy
    3. Ctrl & shift & V to paste as values

Can I add another check for me to have Quick Step, any rider will do :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I was too late. Some b'stard edited it. :-D

Anyway, thanks for saving me the hassle of randomisation - I was going to do an offset based on two numbers pulled from Twitter.

I may even be able to allow late entries with this, which would be nice as I doubt everyone is going to be watching right from the gun... just refresh and pull a new rider, and if rider is already taken refresh again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Current picks:

Rick Chasey 24-2
    ShutupJens 11-5
    greasedscotsman 1-1
    bobmcstuff 17-4
    andyp 11-7
    Mad_Malx 13-3
    ducknumber1 6-2
    niknak1 17-4
    TwoToeBenny 05-03
    No tA Doctor 12-6
    Ridgerider 22-4
    Blazing Saddles 21-7
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    19-1 please
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    13 - 2 please. Thanks.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Current picks:

Rick Chasey 24-2
    ShutupJens 11-5
    greasedscotsman 1-1
    bobmcstuff 17-4
    andyp 11-7
    Mad_Malx 13-3
    ducknumber1 6-2
    niknak1 17-4
    TwoToeBenny 05-03
    No tA Doctor 12-6
    Ridgerider 22-4
    Blazing Saddles 21-7

I thought it needed to be unique? Niknak's gone and made the same pick as me...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Current picks:

Rick Chasey 24-2
    ShutupJens 11-5
    greasedscotsman 1-1
    bobmcstuff 17-4
    andyp 11-7
    Mad_Malx 13-3
    ducknumber1 6-2
    niknak1 17-4
    TwoToeBenny 05-03
    No tA Doctor 12-6
    Ridgerider 22-4
    Blazing Saddles 21-7

I thought it needed to be unique? Niknak's gone and made the same pick as me...

You're right, apologies. Constantly refreshing ducknumber1's spreadsheet to make the Sagan check box go green again has turned me blind.

niknak1 - we need a new number from you.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    13-8 please
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    sherer wrote:
    13-8 please

Not a legal pick.
    1-25 and 1-7 are the number ranges. Unless you want me to add a DS to each team as the eighth man :-D
  • niknak1
    niknak1 Posts: 528
    Apologies
    17-3
    Cheers
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    niknak1 wrote:
    Apologies
    17-3
    Cheers

No problem.
  • Key
    Key Posts: 464
    5-5
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I'm such a sad b'stard that I have just spent the last 15 minutes marvelling at the mechanics of Duck's spreadsheet.
    And pressing ctrl-R until I got a rider I fancied.