105 11 spees shifting problem

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2018 in Road general
Had to come home from my ride today , rear shifter wold not move deralier. Have stripped the cable out ready for anew one , but when trying to chage up or down the levers move but they do not click. What is happening .
Help
Regards
Ilg

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Had to come home from my ride today , rear shifter wold not move deralier. Have stripped the cable out ready for anew one , but when trying to chage up or down the levers move but they do not click. What is happening .
    Help
    Regards
    Ilg

Do you mean there’s no click, with the cable out? There won’t be. If moving the brifter didn’t move the mech, I suspect the Brifter has chewed the end off of the cable, it’s a very common problem. You’ll have to extract the broken cable end, from the brifter, then recable it.
  • When doing so make sure you thread the cable very very slowly
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sounds like cable has already snapped
  • ilovegrace
    Hi all
    Thanks for the replys.
    Pulled the cable out fully now, i thought the shifter still clicked with the cable out , am i right ?
    Going to re cable tomorrow , does the cable tension make the shifter click ?
    Off to bed now so sorry if i do not reply , but will e gtetfull for any suggestions in the morning.
    Thanks again regards
    Ilg
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sounds as if there are strands of snapped cable inside the shifter. You need to make sure these are all extracted before fitting the new cable.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Svetty wrote:
    Sounds as if there are strands of snapped cable inside the shifter. You need to make sure these are all extracted before fitting the new cable.

That happened on my old winter bike Veloce shifters, the cable snapped in the mech and he little ferrule got stuck in the shifter. Had to take it off and strip it down to get it out. Proper PITA.
  • ilovegrace
    Tried de greasing , checked the cable hole seems clear , can you take any bits of to have a look ?
  • faster97
    faster97 Posts: 33
    It's probably fine. The shifters need a bit of tension from having the cable fitted to click normally. Have you tried threading a new cable through the shifter only, then operating the shifter while putting a bit of tension on the cable by hand?
  • ilovegrace
    Update
    Spent the last 5 hours de greasing the shifter seemed to click into gear so to speak , and renewing the gear cable , internal cable on a felt z 5 , never have i been so frustrated after 3 hours managed to thread the cable and get started on the indexing , and what do you know, nothing from the shifter , took it of the drops and tried it loose and started clicking , put it back on the handlebar and will sift so far but not enough to engage. Pissed of, all for nothing, looks like a new shifter , right hand any one selling ?
    Regards
    ILG
  • shirley_basso
    I'd be highly surprised if it was a shifter issue.
    Keep an eye on eBay for a cheap replacement if it is the case as they're 40 used and 80 new.

Is it worth throwing a few quid at the local bike shop to check first? Maybe ask if you can watch ;)
  • ilovegrace
    I'd be highly surprised if it was a shifter issue.
    Keep an eye on eBay for a cheap replacement if it is the case as they're 40 used and 80 new.

Is it worth throwing a few quid at the local bike shop to check first? Maybe ask if you can watch ;)
    Thanks SB.
    Might give the lbs ago.
    The thing that pisses me of is to remove the shifter everthing else has to come of as well , gear cable and brake cable.
    Took me hours to fit that gear cable!!
    Regards
    ILG
  • shirley_basso
    The coated cables are a nightmare.

I run 5800 on 2 bikes and the cables last around 8 months on the RHS. Now I grease them by hand before installing and try and replace them when the shifting gets a bit sloppy. The coated cables can ruin the outers as it clogs with the polymer coating as you pull it out and to be honest the plain steel cables are fine.

I'd get an experienced mate along to give you a hand / second opinion as often another pair of eyes can make a big help.

I wouldn't expect to have to remove the shifter if you are changing cables.
  • ilovegrace
    Update
    Took the bike to the lbs, confirmed what i thought , the shifter is dead !
    Not convinced of the longevity of this 105 11 speed set . I have had to replace the rear mech and now a shifter after a year.
    I have rode 105 10 speed on my other bike for 4 years now with no problems.
  • Replaced under warranty?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ilovegrace
    Replaced under warranty?
    I bought the bike from Wiggle just over 1 year old and was told 5 year on the frame one year on parts.
    To be honest I need the bike so cannot be bothered to go down the Shirmano returns route , probable to be told it is wear and tear or improper use or some other cop out.
    Still not sure on the life span of 105 .
    regards
    ILG
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you mean there’s no click, with the cable out? There won’t be.

There will be. Assuming the shifter mechanism is not broken, it should still operate - regardless of whether the cable is present or not.
  • ilovegrace
    Imposter wrote:
    Do you mean there’s no click, with the cable out? There won’t be.

There will be. Assuming the shifter mechanism is not broken, it should still operate - regardless of whether the cable is present or not.
    How right you are , no clicks = no good ,!
    Lbs has ordered new paddle shifters and mechanism .
    I do a fair few miles and will be wary of buying another 105 bike , I have a px london road , gets a load of hammer in winter . Sram rival groupset 3 years old no problem from shifters or mech.
    Regards
    ILG
  • shirley_basso
    I have had a 105 11sp bike for a few years and it's been abused. I think you've just been unlucky. Plus the new groupset is coming out soon(ish) R7000