Cadence magnet for new Ultegra crank

Livewire
Livewire Posts: 91
edited March 2018 in Road general
Hello,

I have been using a bontrager magnet on my existing ultegra crank for the last few years with no issue.

Now that I have the newer Ultegra crank with the wider crank arm the bontrager band will no longer fit.

I would prefer not to use any cable ties so can anyone offer any advice or confirm what magnet they use with the newer thicker Shimano crank arms?

Cheers

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is your pedal axle magnetic ?a suitable neodymium magnet on the end of that will work if you can move the cadence sensor.

Or sugru one on inside the crank arm.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You haven't said what computer you are using but, if it's compatible, my advice would be to forget the magnet with accompanying cadence sensor and go for the latest generation 'magnetless' Garmin version at around £25. Alternatively, a Chinese knock off will be about half that (inc. shipping) from eBay. I've got both and can't tell the difference in use. They are very discreet and fit with rubber bands.

If not, you might have to resort to a glue gun.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Livewire
    ayjaycee wrote:
    You haven't said what computer you are using but, if it's compatible, my advice would be to forget the magnet with accompanying cadence sensor and go for the latest generation 'magnetless' Garmin version at around £25. Alternatively, a Chinese knock off will be about half that (inc. shipping) from eBay. I've got both and can't tell the difference in use. They are very discreet and fit with rubber bands.

If not, you might have to resort to a glue gun.

Thanks for the advice,

Sorry I should have mentioned what computer I am using, the bike is a Giant Defy Advansed SL so the frame has a ridesense sensor built into chain stay.

I am using a Garmin 25 which had the ANT+ so connects to the built in ridesense.
  • ayjaycee
    edited March 2018
    I'm not too familiar with the Giant system but my understanding is that it's Ant+ and / or bluetooth (depending on age). If that's correct, my advice stays the same - other glues are, of course, available if you don't want to go the new sensor route but those that I mentioned will both work with the Edge 25.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • oxoman wrote:
    I have managed using a magnet onto the end of the pedal spindle on my Giant Defy using the ridesense unit.
    ^ same here on my Giant Propel Advanced.
  • Livewire
    oxoman wrote:
    I have managed using a magnet onto the end of the pedal spindle on my Giant Defy using the ridesense unit.
    ^ same here on my Giant Propel Advanced.

I am affraid a magnet on the end of the pedal spindal does not work on my 2016 Defy Advanced SL.
  • ayjaycee
    Maybe try a stronger magnet - as Cougie said, a neodymium (aka 'rare earth) magnet might do the job.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Livewire
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Maybe try a stronger magnet - as Cougie said, a neodymium (aka 'rare earth) magnet might do the job.

The magnet is not the issue, the pedal spindle basically doesn't line up with the ridesense sensor which is located inside the chain stay.

My Di2 groupset has arrived and I have decided to just secure the magnet with some strong double sided tape. Should look neat enough.