Garmin Edge 500 Battery Replacement

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited March 2018 in Workshop
This is really intended for Garmin Edge 500 users and I hope it will help those who, like me, are quite happy with using theirs but over time have started suffering from the battery not lasting as long as it used to between charges. I recently spotted a replacement battery on ebay and decided that, at under £15 delivered, it was worth a punt - this is the actual item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111702760678

Following instuctions found on line, it was a surprisingly easy job (even for a numpty like me) and it now lasts as long as when new. I actually have two 500s and will not hesitate to do the other one when it inevitably starts to fail.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Great news. The only issue with my one is that since it ran itself flat last week it won't reconnect to my speed sensor (newer, hub based) any more.

Also I'm moving house and I don't know where it's been packed.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Great news. The only issue with my one is that since it ran itself flat last week it won't reconnect to my speed sensor (newer, hub based) any more.

Also I'm moving house and I don't know where it's been packed.

Shirley, Was I you, I'd try a new battery in the sensor before I do anything else and then try to pair it again with the computer. Although I've got a speed sensor, I've never actually used it but in my experience a duff battery in the cadence sensor creates all sorts of problems that a new battery solves immediately. I might be wrong but I think the internals of the speed and cadence sensors are more or less the same.

Back to my original post, FWIW, my Edge 500 was used regularly for about 5 years before the battery started showing real signs of age but it went downhill pretty quickly from there.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)