standover height

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited March 2018 in MTB beginners
ive recently put a couple of posts on this forum about my new cannondale trail 1 it was bought from online retailer so didnt try for size anyway having had it a week im really paranoid its to big im 5ft 11 ive got it set up ok i think slight bend in elbows gotthe seat height bang on but the stand over is next to nothing both feet are on ground but theres only about 1/2 an inch of clearance and the so called perfect clearance is about 2 inches so does it really matter as long as feet are on ground with touching the nether regions

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Standover is meaningless bollocks (ahem) and nothing to do with whether a frame fits you or not.

It’s nice to have, but if I only got frames with 2” of standover they would all be too small for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not unless you ride running along.
    I can hardly touch the ground with one stretched toe on my main bike. To get on and off I drop the Reverb. It's become automatic when I stop.

Although that's on the saddle. It might have some standover, but I've never really thought about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pe1ter
    pe1ter Posts: 169
    thanks for your input its just all the hype with standover issues why im paranoid forgot to mention its a large frame measures up at 18.7!inches
  • The Rookie
    The only people who hype standover are those who don’t understand how a frame fits!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Set up saddle height by having crank in line with seat tube, the heel of your shoe on the pedal and your knee straight.
    Then post side photo of bike, a different measure amount of existed seatpost.

That would give us an idea if the frame is sized correctly.
  • pigglet
    pigglet Posts: 68
    Stand over is completely irrelevant. Don't worry about it. I'm 5'10 and I've only ever bought 1 conventional medium sized bike in nearly 30 years of mountain biking and it was too small. My plums are pretty much always touching the top tube when I stand with both feet flat on the floor on a large. In fact the last couple of bikes I seriously considered in XL, the only reason I didn't buy said size was because the seat tube was too long to allow me to reach the pedals with a fully extended dropper post.
    In short, your large is fine, stop looking for excuses and ride it!
  • The Rookie
    Similar for me, as I have short legs compared to my torso, my torso length dictates a medium frame but my 30” legs mean standover is pretty minimal.