In-line barrel adjuster BB Brake

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited March 2018 in Workshop
I've assembled my new bike with an under BB brake In-line barrel adjuster ate the handlebar exit.

I've always felt the rear brake "spongy" albeit it works flawlessly other wise. Now my father received his new bike with the barrel adjuster a few cms out of the BB brake. The adjuster sits at the cable right under the BB.

My front brake has a much better feeling than his (I'm on Campag he's on SRAM), but his rear brake lever has a totally different feeling - and much better - than mine.

Can this be due to the position of the rear brake in-line adjuster?

Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The in line adjuster is best placed by the bars for the simple reasons of ease of access and to prevent it getting covered in crud. Its an awful design in my opinion. Access requires the use of a stand or turning your bike upside down and if it is binding slightly, difficult to hear when riding. Tyre clearance when removing wheels can be a problem too.

I previously ran SRAM Force 22 on my Reacto which has a BB rear brake position and whilst it worked, the feeling wasn't as good as a rear brake mounted on the seat stays. This might have been due to the fact that the rear brake is not SRAM as SRAM don't make direct mount brakes, and I was using a Shimano 5810 brake set up. I've since switched to Shimano R8050 with the same brakes and the feeling is much better.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • nappyrash
    nappyrash Posts: 13
    naavt your caliper likely has a spring adjuster on it that can increase or decrease the braking force, but it could be any number of reasons.

As philthy3 alludes to you might have compatibility issues, or it may be a set up problem.

I think It will be difficult for anyone to give you specific advice unless you give some detail about the components you are using. Compag is a bit vague.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    Thank you both, for your insights.
    philthy3 wrote:
    (...)the feeling wasn't as good as a rear brake mounted on the seat stays. This might have been due to the fact that the rear brake is not SRAM as SRAM don't make direct mount brakes, and I was using a Shimano 5810 brake set up.

Isn't that weird? I believe Shimano always had a reputation for very good brakes and regular dual pivot Ultegra works very well.
    nappyrash wrote:
    (...)I think It will be difficult for anyone to give you specific advice unless you give some detail about the components you are using. Compag is a bit vague.

You're right. I've taken a couple of pictures. They are Record Direct mounts:

image1.jpeg?raw=1

IMG_4457.JPG?raw=1
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    naavt wrote:
    Thank you both, for your insights.
    philthy3 wrote:
    (...)the feeling wasn't as good as a rear brake mounted on the seat stays. This might have been due to the fact that the rear brake is not SRAM as SRAM don't make direct mount brakes, and I was using a Shimano 5810 brake set up.

Isn't that weird? I believe Shimano always had a reputation for very good brakes and regular dual pivot Ultegra works very well.

The Shimano brakes are good, they just don't work well with SRAM levers. Different pull ratios.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • nappyrash
    nappyrash Posts: 13
    You have probably seen this already, but if not then page 9 and 10 are relevant

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _10_16.pdf

I would tweak the spring adjuster and see if that makes a difference.