Garmin Edge 500 - Groundhog day fault???

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Hoping some of you tech gurus can suggest a resolution to my problem

Have had the Edge 500 for a few years now and it has worked perfectly up until last November when I had an enforced layoff from cycling due to hip replacement surgery.

Just got back on the bike last Friday and have done 2 rides since then. Neither of these rides appears to have been recorded. When I connect the 500 to my PC and open the Garmin Express app it keeps telling me that I have a software update that needs installing. I install the update and disconnect to restart the 500. When I re-connect it tells me to install the same update. This has happened about 6 times so far. At no time has the Garmin Express shown that it is Syncing or offering the option to Sync

If I go to the Garmin Connect The activities show only the rides up to November last year when I stopped before surgery.

Just wondering if the during the 4 month downtime the battery was exhausted and has caused a software glitch?

Any suggestions how to re-activate my device. Would a factory reset help?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think I read somewhere that they were stopping support for the 500.

Anyway, defo worth trying a hard reset. Surprising how often that clears the issue.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    arlowood wrote:
    Hoping some of you tech gurus can suggest a resolution to my problem

Have had the Edge 500 for a few years now and it has worked perfectly up until last November when I had an enforced layoff from cycling due to hip replacement surgery.

Just got back on the bike last Friday and have done 2 rides since then. Neither of these rides appears to have been recorded. When I connect the 500 to my PC and open the Garmin Express app it keeps telling me that I have a software update that needs installing. I install the update and disconnect to restart the 500. When I re-connect it tells me to install the same update. This has happened about 6 times so far. At no time has the Garmin Express shown that it is Syncing or offering the option to Sync

If I go to the Garmin Connect The activities show only the rides up to November last year when I stopped before surgery.

Just wondering if the during the 4 month downtime the battery was exhausted and has caused a software glitch?

Any suggestions how to re-activate my device. Would a factory reset help?
    I've got a Garmin 520, and for the last couple of weeks, when connected to the PC, it doesn't sync with Garmin Express. Like yours, it tells me there is a software update, which I have done a few times. It's always the same update! I have had to manually add the activities to Garmin Connect, but fortunately, they then are automatically added to Strava.

The last time I uploaded to Garmin Connect, I used my laptop and had to add the 520 to Garmin Express as a new device as I'd not used the 520 with the laptop before. Once added, it synced and uploaded my latest activities.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    When I had my 520 it would sometimes tell me there was a software update and ask if I wanted to install it.
    If I said yes it would fail during the install.
    When I connected the 520 to the PC I could see a file on the Garmin called something UPDATE all in capitals.
    Once I deleted this file from the 520 Garmin Express synced with it and loaded the update on to the 520.
    After that the software update worked.

I think this must have been put there over bluetooth as I didn't normally connect to the PC. I did have a rather large map on the 520 so maybe it ran out of room.
  • arlowood
    Hi guys
    Tks for all the replies and suggestions.
    I have done a factory reset and as suggested on one of the Garmin pages, I saved the Settings, Cycling and Totals.fit files before doing the reset. I pasted these files back after the reset but I'm not sure that it worked as I had to do a complete set up from the start to configure the home screen to my preferred display.

Have not had a chance to get out on the bike to check if all is now OK but will report back when I do.
  • davem399
    edited March 2018
    Coming back to this, I have just removed my 520 from Garmin Express, then added it again. It synced my latest activity into Garmin Connect (and thus Strava), and didn't keep asking me to update the software.

I guess it will be interesting to see how future activities are handled by GE.

Edited to amend Garmin Express to Garmin Connect!
  • arlowood
    Just to update after my last post.

Have done a quick 10 miler today and connected the Edge 500 to my PC and opened Garmin Express. At least I am not being prompted to install the same update repeatedly but my 500 is not being automatically synced to Garmin Connect.

I can navigate to the "Activies" file on my 500 and the data is there with today's date assigned. After some googling I have found instructions on manually importing the data to Garmin Express and this has been done successfully. Would much prefer it to automatically sync so I will try removing the device from Garmin Express and re-adding it before my next ride as suggested by DaveM399.

I have also found instructions on how to remove a corrupt sync file but that involves a bit more faffing so I will leave that until the simpler step has been tried
  • arlowood
    Well I think I must have had a visit from the Garmin fairies over the weekend.

Just back from a short ride (rained off from anything longer). Connected the 500 to my PC and fired up Garmin Express. Lo and behold the unit started syncing straight away. Ride details uploaded to Garmin Connect as expected.

Have not done anything in the interim as suggested by others (remove and reconnect to Express, search out and remove potentially corrupt Sync file)

No idea what the problem was but whatever it was the glitch seems to have disappeared, Hopefully smooth sailing from now on
  • davem399
    My latest activity also uploaded on Sunday automatically. Here's hoping it's settled down now.