So...where would you base yourself as a pro?

2»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    RichN95 wrote:
    A key consideration is to be close to an airport. Part of the reason Girona is popular is the airport is one Ryanair's hubs.

I'd definitely not want to be reliant on Ripoff Air for my transport.
    No point in being in Andorra because you won't cycle outdoors much there in winter.

I don't think I'd want to be Monaco based but certainly that stretch of coast is an excellent base otherwise - some great climbs, relatively mild winter climate, easy to get into Italy for a proper coffee, and good flat routes if you head west.

Ideally though would be a summer base and a different winter base if a pro.

If not a pro, I'd just be based in the alps - ski in winter, ride the climbs in the summer. Perfect! :D
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    sherer wrote:
    Mountains are great to have close but if you a sprinter then not what you are looking for. Monaco offers great riding for all types of riders
    Do sprinters train that differently besides motor pacing and possibly different intervals?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Trentino.

Alps and dolomites nearby for summer cycling (and hiking) and winter skiing, for when I want a change flat land (and indeed the whole of Italy) just to the south, wonderful summer weather, main valley with a mild climate even in winter, Venice and Bergamo airports not far away, a main N-S roadway (Brenner pass motorway) passes through, a main rail line to Munich too, nice blend of Austrian and Italian food, Verona nearby when I feel a cultural need, the Italian lifestyle overall (albeit more ordered compared to down in the Mezzogiorno).
    Wouldn't care about being far from the Benelux Classics, in Spring it's often too cool thereabouts for me.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    It would have to be Lucca for me.

Although I could only live there if I was a pro cyclist, the food and wine is just too good!

If I lived there and didnt ride 4 or 5 hours every day I would be a right fatty
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    M.R.M. wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Mountains are great to have close but if you a sprinter then not what you are looking for. Monaco offers great riding for all types of riders
    Do sprinters train that differently besides motor pacing and possibly different intervals?

Prob not that different, but too many people were going on about climbs, I expect Cav and the others do more work on the flats
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    If it has to be France, Nice.

Monaco is awful.

But Tuscany obviously.

Monaco really is awful. Give me saint tropez any day. I think I'd have two bases. Southern Spain in winter. East Yorkshire in summer.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Lichtenstein.
  • sherer wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Prob not that different, but too many people were going on about climbs, I expect Cav and the others do more work on the flats
    Always a grin to see Mark in his world rr jersey being motor paced by Hayles in the Peak District and 30 mph down Wild boarclough. :D