Italian tyres for Italian wheels on Italian (I know it's made in Taiwan) Bike.

alanparsons
alanparsons Posts: 529
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I've just bought some new summer wheels, Fulcrum Zero Carbon, and am contemplating moving away from my usual Conti gp4000s.
Has anyone got any feedback on Vittoria/Pirelli/Veloflex or any other clincher tyres to put on them.
Probably 25c if they don't blow up too big, not much clearance on my frame. Wilier Zero.9 with Dura-ace rim brakes.
Price unimportant.
Edit. Not skin wall.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    My preference was for Vittoria Pave, or Veloflex Master. The decider was whichever one was discounted most. Pirelli are new to the game AFAIK. Pave are no more. I got plenty when I could.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I have experience with Vittoria and Veloflex tyres. I have never tried the new Vittoria Corsas but the old ones felt nice and fast, went on my rims easily and gripped well in the dry, but not so good in the wet. They came out full sized. Veloflex were tough to get on and a bit undersized but felt nice and fast to ride and gripped exceptionally well, wet and dry. Veloflex are very light tyres, wear very quickly and are more prone to punctures and gashes. Good road summer tyres only. Both Veloflex and Vittoria both suited latex inner tubes to provide that special feel.

I have neve tried these new Pirellis but I understand they are made by Hutchinson and only have a 127 tpi casing compared with the ultra supple 320 tpi of the Vittoria and Veloflex. I suspect this would make them feel a bit more wooden to ride.

I assume the OP means not light colored sidewalls when specifying not skin wall. You can get the Vittoria Corsas in all black, although from memory they are more grey, and the Veloflex Corsa model (not the Master) is genuine all black.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've got Vittoria Corsa G+ 28's on my Bianchi. I went out on them for the first time today. Ran them at 70psi front and 80 rear. They felt quick (hardly scientific I know) and were very comfortable. They also handled well. I've got the all black version, they are definitely not grey but black (i believe you can get black and grey colours separately).
  • Schwalbe Pro Ones, Maxxis Padrones, Vittoria Corsa Speeds or something from IRC if going tubeless
    Veloflex Masters if wanting a fast clincher or Vittoria Corsa G for all round performance
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you want genuine made in Italy tyres, Veloflex are the option. Veloflex tyres were launched by Vittoria’s Italian employees when the company shifted production to the Far East.
  • alanparsons
    Cheers for your replies, I have been to my LBS today and will be trying out some vittoria and pirelli when the wheels arrive on Tuesday.
  • pblakeney
    Cheers for your replies, I have been to my LBS today and will be trying out some vittoria and pirelli when the wheels arrive on Tuesday.
    Road tests on tyres?
    That's a new one on me. An LBS that goes beyond...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Pirelli are made by french manufacturer Hutchinson (prob in a factory in Taiwan). They are tyres and don't contain pixie dust or unicorn hair. Some tyres grip better than others some roll a bit faster some puncture seemingly more easily
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You appear to have a Japanese groupset on your Italian bike. Shakes head......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • alanparsons
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Road tests on tyres?
    Not sure it will be a road test, the plan is to fit some 23/25 mm tyres on to see how they size up.
  • alanparsons
    amrushton wrote:
    Pirelli are made by french manufacturer Hutchinson (prob in a factory in Taiwan). They are tyres and don't contain pixie dust or unicorn hair. Some tyres grip better than others some roll a bit faster some puncture seemingly more easily
    That is exactly why I asked for peoples observations on these tyre manufacturers, as I have never used them myself.
    If you have any experience of them please enlighten me.
  • alanparsons
    You appear to have a Japanese groupset on your Italian bike. Shakes head......
    Bike was originally fitted with Chorus, I rode it like that for a year but couldn't really get on with it.
    Had planned to put SR eps on but was unable to fit an internal battery so settled for DA mechanical.
    The bike also has a Taiwanese chain set (FSA), American bar tape (Lizard Skins) and an American chain (SRAM Red).
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Road tests on tyres?
    Not sure it will be a road test, the plan is to fit some 23/25 mm tyres on to see how they size up.
    That makes more sense. 8)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Vittoria Corsa SC are my favourite tyres, plus points for being tan walls too.

Hard to find now though.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Matt_N wrote:
    Vittoria Corsa SC are my favourite tyres, plus points for being tan walls too.

Hard to find now though.

Read the original post.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Vittoria Corsa G, in Graphite wall, been riding my tan walls all summer and winter without a hiccup, as mentioned Latex tubes for that special feeling, and the added joy of pumping the tyres daily.