Anyone running SRAM etap with...

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited March 2018 in Workshop
I have seen etap f and rear derailleur , shifters , battery charger for a good price (with my British Cycling discount) I have read you also require SRAM chain set, chain , rear cassette , and brakes, is this just a marketing ploy ?
My question is anyone running etap with ultegra brakes, chain set , chain and cassette?
I cannot see a problem myself but I suppose it’s better to ask , if it is possible to run with ultegra
Cheers
Dave

Comments

• kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I have seen etap f and rear derailleur , shifters , battery charger for a good price (with my British Cycling discount) I have read you also require SRAM chain set, chain , rear cassette , and brakes, is this just a marketing ploy ?
    My question is anyone running etap with ultegra brakes, chain set , chain and cassette?
    I cannot see a problem myself but I suppose it’s better to ask , if it is possible to run with ultegra
    Cheers
    Dave
    It's a marketing ploy, ultegra would work perfectly.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    chainset - any really, i still use my old 10-speed srm with praxis rings - adjustment with non-yaw chainrings is a bit more fiddly, you need to experiment not simply follow the sram fd instructions
    chain - any 11-speed
    cassette - any 11-speed

with slight differences in tooth profile and chain plates, the shifting may or may not be as smooth to 'pure' sram, but it'll still work fine

with brakes you need to be a bit more careful...

shimano have been through three generations of pull

sram brakes use less cable pull to brake than current shimano brakes

if you use current pull shimano brakes with etap levers, results will not be as good, they may feel mushy and lack power, it will depend how close you set pads to rims - plenty more info online about this

pull on older shimano brakes was more like sram
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndave
    Thanks for the reply’s lads..I will be ordering very soon
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have SRAM Etap with a Force chainset i.e. both SRAM.
    I think the only issue you might have is clearance for the FD.
    The Etap FD is quite large and some have had problems with the crank arm hitting the FD adjustment screws.
    It can be fixed by shortening the offending screw.

BTW it’s a great group set and i’m sure you will enjoy it.
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    I run Etap with the new dura ace calipers, they work exactly the same as my friend’s set up with full dura ace. Canyon supplied there Aeroads, running etap with shimano calipers, As did some pro teams.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I installed e-tap on a friend's bike 18 months ago with exactly the same set-up as you're intending. Zero issues.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • lincolndave
    Thanks for the advice lads , it’s now on the bike everything is working fine gear wise, I had to lift the fd slightly higher than SRAM recommend and angle it a fraction,
    l did not realise how easy it is to install, it took me roughly one hour from pairing every thing to seeing it run smoothly, cannot wait to get it on the road
    Just the brakes to do and re wrap the bars
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    You can definitely mix them. One thing. I would recommend though is a sram cassette. Shimano cassettes have separate rings beside the three biggest cogs. Quite often it bites into the freehub body and need to replace it after a while. Sram red cassette is expensive but it is one piece and doesn't bite into the freehub body.
  • Hi

Have used my etap with kmc chains and ultegra cassettes and no issues at all

For calipers I use Durace Direct Mount Calipers and there are no issues at all with the etap levers - they work perfectly

Enjoy
  • lincolndave
    The ultegra 6800 brakes work fine , I was expecting a few problems after reading one or two comments,on another fotum
    what a simple yet brilliant system
    Thanks for the input lads,