Canyon bike problems

Andymaxy
Andymaxy Posts: 197
edited March 2018 in Road general
Received my Canyon aeroad 9.0 with mechanical dura ace yesterday. Absoluntely stunning bike, looks way better in real life than in the pictures.

However, a closer look revealed some issues. The bike I received seem to have been on the shelf for a long time.

First, the bike had quite a lot of dust on it when I opened the box.

Also, the cables do not feel smooth at all. In fact, the RD has signs of aging(fraying).

Both shifting and braking feel like crap.

Upon a closer look, I found that the cables are not dura ace cables, but rather some cheap alternative. Well played Canyon, that's a nice trick to cut down some cost.

Anyways, very disappointing experience. Canyon advertises that they use the entire group set, but cables are important ma parts of the groupset too. will be having a word with their customer service to see what they have to say about this. I would say that 105, ultegra, dura ace in terms of shifting quality are all the damn same, the only thing that makes the difference are the cables, so if Canyon doesn't give me dura ace cables, I might be buying the ultegra in the first place.

My friends well tuned 105 shifts way better than my aeroad dura ace in its current condition.

While this bike may have been well tuned when it was built, they've probably left it on the shelf for way too long, and did not double check before shipping it out.

I will update on this post to see how the customer service deals with this.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never noticed cables deteriorating from just being sat there. And cables fray as soon as you cut them unless you glue or crimp or heat seal them.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP tbh i doubt there is much difference between dura ace cables and whatever have come on the bike.
    If shifting is bad and the rear mech cable is frayed it is more likely to have occurred in transit.

Anyway, if you aren't satisfied just send it back.
  • Andymaxy
    cougie wrote:
    I've never noticed cables deteriorating from just being sat there. And cables fray as soon as you cut them unless you glue or crimp or heat seal them.

The fraying started where the cable is clamped.
  • Andymaxy
    redvision wrote:
    OP tbh i doubt there is much difference between dura ace cables and whatever have come on the bike.
    If shifting is bad and the rear mech cable is frayed it is more likely to have occurred in transit.

No I love the bike, I'm keeping the bike, just gonna ask Canyon for some new cables

But it's not true what you said, cable makes the biggest difference is terms of shifting, RD and FD do not matter. Dura ace cables makes a pretty big difference.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Sorry what's the point of this post? You got a dusty bike with some frayed cables. Ok.
  • He's not Happy
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I blame wiggle
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Andymaxy wrote:
    redvision wrote:

No I love the bike, I'm keeping the bike, just gonna ask Canyon for some new cables

But it's not true what you said, cable makes the biggest difference is terms of shifting, RD and FD do not matter. Dura ace cables makes a pretty big difference.

Must just be me then as i honestly can't tell the difference between dura ace cables (which i originally had on my race bike) and cheaper cables.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Andymaxy wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Maybe in your mind mate.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Who buys dura ace on the reasoning it comes with dura ace cables! I think most people buy higher end groupsets based on weight savings and bling factor. Give me dura ace with shitty frayed cables over 105 with dura ace cables every time.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Just feel lucky you don't have the situation as in the other thread that your Canyon frame cracked on the first ride.
  • Is the cable a bronze/gold colour, and when you look very closely it has coating with a crisscross pattern. If so, this is indicative of the polymer coated shimano cables, and I believe these are what the Dura-Ace range specify (at at least did).

When you say the cable is fraying, are you sure it's actually the cable, and not the coating (PTFE or Polymer)? As far as I understand, when such a cable is used it's recommended to remove the coating at the clamping point to aid the clamping action gripping the cable correctly (to prevent unwanted slippage, particularly with brake cables) ... so the fraying could just be where this coating has been removed?
  • Andymaxy
    Is the cable a bronze/gold colour, and when you look very closely it has coating with a crisscross pattern. If so, this is indicative of the polymer coated shimano cables, and I believe these are what the Dura-Ace range specify (at at least did).

When you say the cable is fraying, are you sure it's actually the cable, and not the coating (PTFE or Polymer)? As far as I understand, when such a cable is used it's recommended to remove the coating at the clamping point to aid the clamping action gripping the cable correctly (to prevent unwanted slippage, particularly with brake cables) ... so the fraying could just be where this coating has been removed?

Yes I've seen coating falling off before, it looks like very thin threads falling off, it's not the case here.