Bad week for young Brits all round........

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited March 2018 in Pro race
Team Wiggins not selected for Tour of Yorkshire.

Adam Yates crashes in Tour of Catalunya - fractures pelvis.

Scott Thwaites has training crash - fractures spine.

Jeeze!! :(

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Good news for young Brits as Yorkshire based Holdsworth Pro Racing team gets invite for Tour de Yorkshire :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    inseine wrote:
    Good news for young Brits as Yorkshire based Holdsworth Pro Racing team gets invite for Tour de Yorkshire :)

And Manchester United dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, by grudgingly getting themselves a women's team.
    (BBC to demand equal pay for them, next week)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    inseine wrote:

exactly, I dont get the grief TdY have been getting on this, team Wiggo arent the only team who support young brits, and I suspect most of Wiggos team will be called into Team GB anyway, so who out of the conti teams would you replace to get Wiggo in
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Wiggins have been a shoe in the last couple of years and the only time you saw them in the racing has been moto shots of them exiting by the back door. They actually got selected ahead of Rapha Condor the first year until everyone made a big fuss about it I seem to recall
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wouldn't it be better for the UCI to come up with a proper ranking \ league system for this.. would make it a lot fairer then
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    Wiggins have been a shoe in the last couple of years and the only time you saw them in the racing has been moto shots of them exiting by the back door. They actually got selected ahead of Rapha Condor the first year until everyone made a big fuss about it I seem to recall

Hang on, the first TdY was 2015, and they never got selected last year

So tell us more about the 'shoe in the last couple of years'
  • Shutup Jens: Team Wiggo have raced 3 races so far this season:

Jock Wadley: 2nd
    Classica da Arabida (1.2) - 2nd and 4th
    Volta ao Alentejo (2.2) - 3rd overall, 2 stage wins, Best Young Rider

Just spit-balling here, but I suspect your beef is with their owner, rather than whether the lads deserve a spot
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Shutup Jens: Team Wiggo have raced 3 races so far this season:

Jock Wadley: 2nd
    Classica da Arabida (1.2) - 2nd and 4th
    Volta ao Alentejo (2.2) - 3rd overall, 2 stage wins, Best Young Rider

Just spit-balling here, but I suspect your beef is with their owner, rather than whether the lads deserve a spot

but part of me thinks the inverse is in effect too, no one would give a beef about it, if it wasnt for the team owner. and I still say if we accept there number of teams is limited, who out of the conti level teams would you swap out ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    sherer wrote:
    wouldn't it be better for the UCI to come up with a proper ranking \ league system for this.. would make it a lot fairer then
    The problem with that it tends to create a closed shop. The teams that get invites have more opportunity to get points and are therefore more likely to get more invites.
    I would like wildcards to local teams to be restricted a little. The Vuelta giving two of the wildcards to brand new Spanish teams seemed a little unfair. (I'd also reduce WT teams to 16 to allow more wildcards).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    inseine wrote:

Can anyone name more than two riders from this team, without looking it up?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    andyp wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Doug T'Thwaites, E.Byegum and A.Owmuch...
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    andyp wrote:
    inseine wrote:

no , and if they dont get invites to races we never will
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    tim000 wrote:
    no , and if they dont get invites to races we never will

Don't you think they should prove they are capable of racing at this level, before they get invited to the bigger races?

As someone posted up thread, the Wiggins team has had a strong start to the season in some decent quality races, they've shown they are capable of riding at this level. This Holdsworth-Planet-X team haven't done anything yet. If they have a good season then invite them next year, but don't invite untested teams as that smacks of cronyism.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The week finishes with good news as Chris Lawless bags his first pro win at Coppi & Bartali
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    The problem with that it tends to create a closed shop. The teams that get invites have more opportunity to get points and are therefore more likely to get more invites.
    I would like wildcards to local teams to be restricted a little. The Vuelta giving two of the wildcards to brand new Spanish teams seemed a little unfair. (I'd also reduce WT teams to 16 to allow more wildcards).

Good point, I hadnt really looked at it from that angle