Listed as a reserve for RR - chances of starting on the day?

Mapaputsi
Mapaputsi Posts: 104
edited March 2018 in Amateur race
Trying to get into road racing this year & just entered my first one but have been listed as a reserve.
It’s in two weeks on the 8th April.
Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of how likely it is that I will get a race?

For what it’s worth I am a 3rd Cat., got my points through circuit racing.
It is a 2/3/4 race, Regional A. Will this make any difference since I have not raced before?

Thanks!

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Not sure where in the country you're located but down here in the SE you would get a ride at least 9 times out of 10, even if you weren't on the reserve but simply showed up to EOL.

I think the likelihood of getting in depends on a few factors, namely how far in advance people needed to enter, whether the field was FCFS or chosen by the org, how many reserves there are, and the penalties for DNSing last minute. Down here the league races (basically all of our racing for 2/3/4s) are generally FCFS, fill up quickly, only have 5 or 6 reserves listed, and if you DNS a few days in advance you get nearly all your entry back so there's little financial loss.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Ask the org for an ordered list of reserve names if its available, should make deciding a lot easier as you could end up being close to top of the list and so likely a dead cert.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - depends where you are on the reserve list. If you are first reserve, then you've probably got at least a 99% chance of getting a ride. If you're 10th reserve, maybe less likely...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    The last few races I organised all reserves got a ride and there were a few entries on the line too. I've always listed reserves in order on a start list so people know where they are.