Fulcrum Racing Sport DB freehub service

nappyrash
nappyrash Posts: 13
edited March 2018 in Workshop
I own a pair of these wheels and am always reading on forums that they are not serviceable so for anyone into DIY servicing the Fulcrum Racing Sport DB freehub is serviceable. It is very similar to old 7/8 speed shimano cassette hubs.

First download the Fulcrum pdf : TECHNICAL MANUAL - FREEHUB BODY
Removal and installation of freehub body - Rev03_09_2016
Date: 01/09/2016

at http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/download

this will show you how to remove the freehub.

Once it is removed you need a 11mm hex in the bottom, pry off the plastic dust caps on the top, and insert tool Super B TB-1018 in the top and turn in a clockwise direction, it comes apart with a bit of effort.

Theirs just a load of loose ball bearings and some poor quality grease inside, cleaning it and applying a quality grease will solve a lot of problems that some owners have, and its cheaper than binning an otherwise good set of wheels.

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Thanks for that. The 12mm allen key I need to swap mine arrived today so I was going to have a look at the weekend.

Did you need to replace your ball bearings? With no grease, I'm wondering if they were small bits of rough rusty shrapnel.

Wondering whether another allen key (£3) and that Super B tool (£10) is throwing good money after bad? Always fun to get new tools I suppose...
  • nappyrash
    My Hub rumbled and clicked loudly.

I didn't replace any ball bearings just a clean and grease, and it's smooth and quiet now.

I did forget to say that once you have pried off the plastic cap you will need to knock out the sealed bearing at that end, so probably worth checking that bearing as it might be the source of your problem, though mine was O.K.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Mine started to freewheel all the time rather than just sounding rough. Are the pawls accessible?
  • nappyrash
    Yes, when the outer body comes off , the inner body has ball bearings around the base and the pawls are around the centre.

Yours sounds in worse condition than mine, hopefully the pawls are just sticky and need a clean and some grease or oil on the hinge.
  • Subscribed, could be a very handy resource for my Cube's default wheels, thanks. :)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo