Pirelli Tires

yorks hobbo
yorks hobbo Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking at changing from Continental gp4000 to Pirelli Tires any thoughts

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I havent tried them, but some friends told me that they like them a lot. You cant go wrong, its a good tire
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I enquired about this as well and was told similar.
    The top 3 or 4 are all very good so you can't really go wrong with any.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I had Pirelli tyres on (P Zero Velo S) until a few months back.

Was happy with them until I had a complete side wall failure whilst descending and cornering at 60km/h.

Back on GP4Ks now until the weather improves for my summer tyres.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    they are good for me. only real issue (standard with race tyres I guess) is they are thinner than gp40000s (2.5 vs 2.9mm if you read up on them). they have better feedback and are as fast but, are prone to cutting.

from experience. for outright speed, 4000s ( they are supposedly more aero)
    for grip Vittoria corsa
    for all round Pirelli
    for fast but nor real feel, schwalbe one

the next level up (conti TT/ Pirelli tt and vittoria corsa speed) are all faster but very much more fragile.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Made by Hutchinson apparently, with a design brief from Pirelli.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    I've used Continentals, not the GP 40000s, but the Ultra Sports and the 4 Seasons. Both were a total PITA to get on and off my wheels. Even with tyre levers it was a struggle.

Just bought a pair of Pirelli Velos and god, it was so easy to mount them compared with the Continentals. I managed to do it with just my hands and didn't need to use levers at all!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I can mount GP4Ks on wide Enves with my hands, no issues.

Pirellis were great until they tried to kill me.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    I've used Continentals, not the GP 40000s, but the Ultra Sports and the 4 Seasons. Both were a total PITA to get on and off my wheels. Even with tyre levers it was a struggle.

I blame Wiggle.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    Running P Velos on my Reynolds and Zipps and feel very similar to GP4000s but so so much easier to mount, worth it just for that alone.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    I've used gatorskins/gp4s/gp4k and never found them that bad,but all did the job i was after on the bike.
    Only tyres that made a wreck of my fingers were schwalbe marathan plus.they all go on though in the end.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    Bungle73 wrote:

I blame Wiggle.
    Erm, Merlin shurely?
  • I'm on GP4000 IIS (28s) and love them - but in a recent tyre group test in a magazine I bought, they came second place to the Pirelli P-Zeros
  • I'm looking to change from GP4000s - I like the tyre but around here (West Sussex) the roads are so flinty that they get cut to pieces, I've just binned a 500 mile tyre with a cut which allowed the inner tube to protrude however the previous Mavic tyres had the same problem so I feel I could be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire choosing another brand.
    I suppose I could fit Marathon pluses or move.