Advice re bike rack / tow bar v folding bike

Dougal_bug
Dougal_bug Posts: 36
edited March 2018 in Road general
Long time lurker, irregular poster.

Looking for some advice for my in laws.

There son is shortly to become the proud owner of a recumbent - a Hase Trix to be exact. As we would all hope as soon as it arrives he will want to get out and about in it. They don't live somewhere where it is possible for them to simply head straight out front door and use, so will need to use transport to get themselves, their bikes, the recumbent and son to a location where said bike can be used in safety.

Although the bike isn't cheap, the funds available to resolve their conundrum are not so deep, the questions they are trying best to answer is:

- They drive a Skoda Yeti, they have their own hybrid bikes, do they get a bike rack or tow bar version of that and use this to be able to take these bikes with them, if so what would people recommend

issues for this they need to consider

The concern they have about the bike rack, is getting a reasonable quality, but also ensuring that they don't get pulled over by police due to visibility of lights / registration number, which is why I suggested possible tow bar version. Roof rack is not as straight forward as you would hope, as would require parking on road to remove bikes before parking on driveway and there is no real guarantee that they will be able to park car within sensible distance to achieve this - driveway is directly under first floor of the house, hence issue with rood rack

- they purchase second hand folding bikes, that possibly could sit in remaining room in back of car when they go out with son.

issues for this they need to consider

Remaining room available in car to achieve this, and the recumbent will have ability to go off road - used maybe along likes of what a gravel bike is used - so towpaths uneven terrain. If they were to go with folders, are these 'inexpensive' enough and able to cope with such terrain?

Any questions not answered that people pose I will try and answer but if I don't it's becuase I am holiday, so I will also just say a quick thank you to those who, if any do post thoughts as that input will be appreciated I am going to send them link to post)

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Toe bar mounted is always the best option, IF you have a towbar fitted. But they are still not cheap even if you have.

Thule, clearly, the best. But not cheap.

You can browse all the types here. But, broadly, they come with plates, electrics making the registration matters etc all very straightforward.

That recumbent is, of course, the issue. I doubt that's going on any carrier easily. Back of the car with seats down?

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers ... unting.php
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I bought a tow bar carrier because the missus couldn't cope with roof carriers and getting the bikes on. However the two bar carrier was quite heavy and requires a strong arm to tighten the clamp against the towbar ball. As a result we were no better off. I still had to do all the work with getting the bikes on the car. If I wasn't around the bikes didn't go. This was on an estate car.

Fast forward to a new car (Honda CRV) with no tow bar. I have reverted to roof carriers but now have to carry a folding step so I can reach all the fixings.

I still have the towbar carrier but it needs repaired to be usable.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Anyone wanting to buy a towbar rack - keep an eye on eBay for collection only stuff. If you're prepared to travel an hour or so bargains are there to be had... My Thule 9503 was £33 this way (yes, it had a missing bung (cosmetic issue only) that cost me £2 to replace)