Winter Hardtail 'build'

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited April 2018 in Your mountain bikes
Not a build from scratch, but it's more than I've done before. Most bits are from my written off Pro FS. New full suss to follow soon hopefully. This is my project bike to learn on and tinker with.

Started out as a standard spec bar the saddle and grips. Here's the bike when I got it home.

IMG_0555.jpg

New grips went on then I already had the Minion DHF, chainstay protector, pedals, saddle, seatpost, QR clamp and seatpost ring.

IMG_0559.jpg

The wheel QRs were pretty scratched up, so those were replaced and I swapped over the Guide Brakes from the Pro FS.

IMG_0564.jpg

Next came making it 1x. My fitness at the moment meant the TINY chain ring was fine, so sticking with that and the standard cassette for now. At this point I kept the mech to use as a guide and it's not a n/w chain ring. All worked perfectly.

IMG_0614.jpg

As we currently stand. I've taken the front mech, cable and shifter off, and popped on a new enduroguard and a chainguide. Had trouble finding one for such a small chainring for a decent price, but ended up with this which is perfect. All in, so far, it's cost £210 including the bike. Pretty pleased. :)

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• I love the look of this. Subtle mods have made a big difference to the look of the bike. I’m jealous of the 1x setup. Good build and for sensible spending too. I’ve got those grips on mine 8)
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Nice work, although let's hope the winter ends soon! I built a bike over the winter period with a view that I would ride my existing XC bike through the winter (did a few winter upgrades similar to you) but as the weather has been so crap the new bike hasn't had many miles other than a couple of weekends away riding bike parks!

Nice to see the gnomes inspecting your progress.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • jamski
    Thanks guys. Yeah the gnomes keep me company. ;) I can’t help but feel the 1x is a bit of a bodge! Even the bolts seemed to still fit ok after removing the bigger ring. But it seems to work fine. All just seemed a bit easy.

Roll on spring for sure. Should be a new full suss on the way then too. ;) Thanks for the nice words.
  • slc123
    Doesn't look too bad to me... If it works it works.

It can always look cleaner with a direct mount ring, but a you mentioned if you are just riding it as a winter project it's best to keep it cheap.

Out of interest what size is the chain ring and how did you find it? I've got quite a small direct mount chain ring on the bike I built and it has seemed pretty good so far.

IMG_8261.jpg
  • jamski
    It's a 27 tooth, and was just the small ring on the 2x setup. All I did was remove the big ring, and away I went. Far too easy!
  • slc123
    Certainly one way of doing it. I've got 3x9 on my current Cannondale XC bike, which I am retiring for the spring/summer in favour of my new build. I think I will strip it and rebuild it over the summer ready for next winter. I was contemplating going 1x11 on it. What you've done here could be an option for me.
  • jamski
    slc123 wrote:
    Certainly one way of doing it. I've got 3x9 on my current Cannondale XC bike, which I am retiring for the spring/summer in favour of my new build. I think I will strip it and rebuild it over the summer ready for next winter. I was contemplating going 1x11 on it. What you've done here could be an option for me.

I think your small ring on the 3x would be too small, and you'd certainly need shorter bolts, unless you possibly use a bashguard. DO you know what teeth are on each chainring, the middle one could possibly work?
  • slc123
    You are right, the small ring is only a 22. The middle is a 32, which could be ideal. A new chainring shouldn't be too expensive anyway if needs be. Will need to check the hub for compatibility but pretty sure it will take a Shimano 10 or 11 speed.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    slc123 wrote:
    IMG_8261.jpg

Rear brake hose looks to be banjo fitting. You know that by slightly loosening the nut holding it in ply, you can twist it for better alignment of the brake hose?

No risk of any leakage as long as undo it just enough to twist, then tighten when done.