Upgrading Sora to 105

hotcamel
hotcamel Posts: 5
edited March 2018 in Road general
I have an old Triban 5 bike that I use on the road and on the turbo trainer.

I am also planning on buying a new road bike later in the year, and relegating the Triban to zwift permanently.

But in the meantime, I want to get a power meter. And I want to be able to use it on both bikes.

I have decided probably a 4iiii power meter on the left crank arm, and I should be able to swap it across relatively easily.

The problem I have is that I have a 175mm crank on my old Triban, but any future bike will almost definitely have a 172.5mm crank based on some sizing and test rides I have done recently.

So, for it to be compatible with both bikes, I will need to also swap the right crank on the Triban 5 (which has 2013 Sora, triple front crank) for a 172.5mm crank.

Sora only comes in 170 or 175 as far as I can find.

So, my question is, can I do a straight swap for the Sora front cranks, for a 105 triple crankset?
Will I need a new chain, or any other components?
They both have the same number of teeth on each ring.

For example can I basically just buy this and swap it out, along with my new left crank with power meter?

https://www.jejamescycles.com/shimano-1 ... inset.html

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That would work, but I'd recommend you save your money and get the Tiagra triple crank for half the price instead (unless you have a particular attachment to 5-bolt chainrings).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your current chainset is the Hollowtech II Sora triple then yes, it should be a simple swap and you can leave the BB in there if it's still OK.

Undo the pinch bolts on LH crank and fish out the plastic safety tab, unscrew the plastic preload cap and pull the crank off. Drop the chain onto the BB shell and withdraw the chainset from the drive side.

If your existing chain is fairly new there's no need to replace it
  • hotcamel
    hotcamel Posts: 5
    Great! Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll get the tiagra instead.

How can I tell if I have the hollowtech II Sora triple crankset?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Most obvious indication is that the drive side (with the chainrings) doesn't have a bolt in the middle of it attaching it to an axle.

Then the non drive side will have two small Allen bolts and a larger plastic bolt securing it.