All time best one dayer you actually watched.

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    2016 P-R. Had everything. The unlikely but deserving winner. The great attacks with ramping pressure at the end. The ludicrous bike save of Sagan. The expectation of Cancellara to crush the gap, which was then foiled by his crash. Boonen going for the record.

Also saw it in Nice with my girlfriend who doesn't care about cycling, but went regarding the finale "Oh, that was fun!"

You, er, still together?
    Yeah getting married this September. :wink:

She rides a bike to work in spring and summer. Just doesn't watch sports. :D

Phew!... congrats in advance.
    Don’t lose hope: my former fiancée (now wife) was a casual cyclist and not bovved by the sport. Then I took her to Flanders and signed her up for the RVV randonee with her new road bike... stroll on 2 years and she was racing in the National Series and shouting at Cav on the telly to get his “fukcing fat @rse” up there...
    On the other hand, I now completely understand those who might wish their other half would naff off when the cycling’s on...
    Hahahahaha. Thanks, man! Yeah, I don't mind having some things for myself. :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Hayman’s PR was superb and the Backstage Pass video made me get a bit weepy, but for me the best PR of recent times was Vansummeren‘s 2011 win. It was a ‘can he hold on?’ moment. I’ve watched it loads of times now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    The best one day race I actually saw was the 2006 Giro di Lombardia, where Bettini won alone in the rainbow jersey a few days after his elder brother was killed in a car crash. Watching the finish of that on the lake front in Como was spine tingling.

Yes, and some of the most nerve-wracking descending I've ever seen

A few of the Worlds over the years have been corkers.

It was more of a slack jawed "I know this is an amazing feat" type ride rather than a race of the highest quality.

(that and Wegman's face showing how fast Bettini was riding).
  • rick_chasey
    li2705674_20061793_71560_670.jpg
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    from a purely selfish point of view Last years Flanders. but 2016 Roubaix is up there.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    [quote="Dolan Driv

The 1992 Milan-San Remo. King Kelly's last big win and done so in a manner that might never be repeated.

DD.[/quote]

This. I had the copy of Bicisport with Kelly on the cover, lent it to a mate who is a clubmate of Kelly and wanted to copy the cover picture for a t-shirt. Never saw my magazine again or nor got the t shirt - bugger! As an aside, said mate was (is) pretty handy - Div champ several times in the UK, top 10 in at least one prem, winter runs with Kelly and Sam Bennett.

Being in Italy for Tafi's Lombardy stands out as my best memory.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,929
    rio de Janeiro Olympic road race was the best sit down in front of the tv.

PR 94 of course ...yes i watched it live.

PR 2016 huh?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    The 1996 Worlds will live long in the memory.

Michele Bartoli was the leader of a strong Italian team on a course that looked tailor made for him with two decent climbs per lap. Italy looked like they'd played a blinder as they had two riders, Fabrizio Guidi and, I think, Andrea Ferrigato, in strong break that Museuuw and Gianetti also infiltrated. But then it began to go horribly wrong, as the Italian team chased hard behind but both Italians were still driving hard at the front. On the final lap it looked like the Italians would close the gap, only for Andrea Tafi to jump away alone on the climb, but fail to close the gap. Ahead Museuuw hung onto Gianetti, who was being spurred on by a home crowd, and Bartoli was left to police a chase led by Virenque, that swept up Tafi but couldn't close the gap to the two in front.

Museuuw then spoilt the home party by dispatching Gianetti in the sprint, whilst Bartoli outsprinted Axel Merckx for a disappointing bronze. The recriminations in the Italian camp last for years afterwards.

The top ten is amazing for the depth of quality in it, all either GT or Monument winners with the exception of the aforementioned Merckx.

1. Johan Museeuw (Belgium) 6hr 23min 50sec
    2. Mauro Gianetti (Switzerland) @ 1sec
    3. Michele Bartoli (Italy) @ 29sec
    4. Axel Merckx (Belgium) s.t.
    5. Richard Virenque (France) @ 30sec
    6. Andrea Tafi (Italy) s.t.
    7. Laurent Jalabert (France) @ 1min 26sec
    8. Davide Rebellin (Italy) s.t.
    9. Tony Rominger (Switzerland) s.t.
    10. Bjarne Riis (Denmark) s.t.

there is a good tale about how early week Museeuw bumped into jaja on a training ride and they got a bit frisky. jaja "won" the training ride but divulged too much i... when it came to the race jaja thought he could do it again but got turned over by Museeuw and cracked trying to go with him .

Tafi did an insane amount of work trying to bridge ..talk about maximum drugs thou.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

PR 2016 huh? yeah it was a good race
  • rick_chasey

PR 2016 huh? yeah it was a good race

Ooo interesting.

Explain please!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    One that no-one will mention but I remember being an excellent race despite its flat as a pancake parcours was the 2010 Commonwealth Games (Men) in Delhi
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    For partisan reasons the men’s 2012 Olympic RR was pretty exciting and then it became awful like a Game of Thrones episode where all your favourites are killed horribly and the baddie prevails...
  • So for me, the 2016 Paris Roubaix had everything a one day bike race could ever want.

Racing from bonkers far out.

A favourite with a monster palmares, hungry to make history with the record number of wins.

Total war of attrition – all the riders in the final group were dead on their feet. Properly punch drunk. Knackered. Kaput. Destroyed. Grovelling. The lot. And yet almost all of them threw in a serious attack in the final 20km.

Winner was a rank outsider even before the start, let alone 200m from the finish, yet one whose career has been defined by the same race. He outsprinted the greatest classics rider sprinter of his generation in his first race back since breaking his arm/elbow in the opening classics race of the year.

This post is dead poetic, Rick
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    For partisan reasons the men’s 2012 Olympic RR was pretty exciting and then it became awful like a Game of Thrones episode where all your favourites are killed horribly and the baddie prevails...

I stropped all the way home from Box Hill and into the Sunday
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Ha! I was at the Denbies Vineyard just down the road watching the last 50km on the big screen... I nearly couldn’t be bothered to get drunk afterwards. Fortunately, I soldiered on...
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I try to get everyone to call that corner in the park Cancellara corner.

People look at me like I'm an even bigger weirdo than normal.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Ha! I was at the Denbies Vineyard just down the road watching the last 50km on the big screen... I nearly couldn’t be bothered to get drunk afterwards. Fortunately, I soldiered on...

Same. Twas the only way.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    One that no-one will mention but I remember being an excellent race despite its flat as a pancake parcours was the 2010 Commonwealth Games (Men) in Delhi

Really enjoyed the 2014 edition just because I was there. Horrible weather, brutal watching the suffering going up Montrose Street. Could also get around the course pretty easily so could dip in and out of pubs for pints between laps. Could not have been better placed for Thomas' attack on St Vincent street, then darting up a street to see him come back around, in between which a mate watching at home text me to tell me he'd punctured and blown it, only to see him come fly by back in the lead (was very confused at the time). Into Bar Bloc for a beer just in time to see him cross the line. Good stuff.

Ok so it probably wasn't that exciting for most other fans but was really cool being there and seeing it all unfold.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Really enjoyed the 2014 edition just because I was there. Horrible weather, brutal watching the suffering going up Montrose Street. Could also get around the course pretty easily so could dip in and out of pubs for pints between laps. Could not have been better placed for Thomas' attack on St Vincent street, then darting up a street to see him come back around, in between which a mate watching at home text me to tell me he'd punctured and blown it, only to see him come fly by back in the lead (was very confused at the time). Into Bar Bloc for a beer just in time to see him cross the line. Good stuff.

Ok so it probably wasn't that exciting for most other fans but was really cool being there and seeing it all unfold.

Oh lordy, YES. And lil Pete on his suicide mission, with Cav yelling out of the team car at him and Pete ignoring him

Hilarious stuff.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Oh lordy, YES. And lil Pete on his suicide mission, with Cav yelling out of the team car at him and Pete ignoring him

Hilarious stuff.

I was relatively new to the world of cycling at the time. Started watching it at home with Kennaugh away out on his own. Got on the train and when I got to Glasgow he still had like a minute and a half or something. Naive me starts thinking "How are they going to be able to catch him? There's only like 8 laps left!" haha.

Think the whole day definitely got me hooked.
  • mididoctors
    OCDuPalais wrote:

it was incredible you had GC climbers taking on the on classic guys in a head to head you NEVER see anywhere else.

and frankly the most amazing parcours... exposed crosswind sea front/ causeway into and out of a grippy circuit with REAL cobbles that put paid to many. followed by hyper-technical urban mountain circuit (which was dangerous mainly due to lack of rider knowledge) that was a real last man standing affair that ended in a nail-biting chase down!
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Think you're getting your years mixed up Midi but yes Rio was spectacular too
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    There you go. A clear example of generational dissonance. Me thinking that the thread required you to be actually at the race and clearly all that was required was access to a media feed.
    I feel even older.
    It is the same feeling i get when being in a public house with a satelite dish. No it is not 'live' you are not there.
    'fool'
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,424
    On home soil. Bugno won in Brighton...

Yes, the Wincanton Classic. I was there. Gianni Bugno shot up Wilson Avenue like it was flat.

Some people have short memories. Perhaps i'm getting on :roll:
    The Museeuw/Tchmil battle at PR in 1994 was epic.
    The Duclos-Lassalle/Bellerini PR was fascinating.
    89 Worlds in Oslo in the rain, Kelly, Konyshev, Fignon etc
    Last years Flanders has to be up with the best.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Pinno wrote:

You're included in the short memory group by the looks of things - the 89 Worlds were in Chambery.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Happy to see we're still being treated to brilliant racing. Friday's E3 was a cracker.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    There you go. A clear example of generational dissonance. Me thinking that the thread required you to be actually at the race and clearly all that was required was access to a media feed.
    I feel even older.
    It is the same feeling i get when being in a public house with a satelite dish. No it is not 'live' you are not there.
    Using your measure I'd say the 1982 worlds at Goodwood. Three of my favorite riders on the podium. Saronni (best bike), Kelly and Lemond. Mandy Jones in the women's of course
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,424
    andyp wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You're included in the short memory group by the looks of things - the 89 Worlds were in Chambery.

Did I get the rain bit right?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pinno wrote:
    On home soil. Bugno won in Brighton...

Yes, the Wincanton Classic. I was there. Gianni Bugno shot up Wilson Avenue like it was flat.

They might have been good but I can't claim to have watched either of them... mainly by virtue of me being one in 1989.

Last year's Flanders was good but think 2016 PR was better.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Pinno wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Did I get the rain bit right?
    Yes. On both counts, Chambery 89 and Oslo 93 were both wet races.