Full suspension bike up to 3000£

ilias87
ilias87 Posts: 19
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

It has been 3 years since I had my hardtail Whyte 905 stolen and now I am finally over it and looking to start riding again.

This time I am looking for a full suspension bike (most likely 27.5 and not 29) that will allow me to both enjoy some long rides but also enjoy the trails and maybe attempt a few jumps etc but nothing crazy.

I was looking some bikes from YT and Canyon but I am open to any suggestions.

Afew questions:

1) Do I really care about a carbon fibre frame and if yes why?
2) the front suspension, is there a sweet spot between being able to do long rides but also ride the trails?

Really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Ilias

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Based on your budget you should be able to get a pretty good spec bike. Your two suggestions I really like and would recommend the YT Capra, also the Canyon Spectral is getting some good reviews. A friend of mine just purchased a BMC speedfox and it was reduced from £4,100 to £2,600 and that's a fantastic bike for the money. In terms of travel I would aim for 140 - 160, which most of those bikes will have. The only thing I would say is that you will notice a difference on the climbs with an FS, it's going to be tougher than on a XC bike, just because of the setup. I know on the BMC the rear shock has a climb setting, which makes things a little easier and gives you more grip on the backwheel, so maybe worth looking out for.

In terms of the carbon frame,, Ultimately it's going to make the bike a lot lighter which will always be a benefit.

If you are looking at spending £3K I would suggest getting out and riding a few bikes and seeing what you like. For me spending that money I would want to make sure I really liked it.

Best of luck on your search.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    29” all the way, great for long distances and trails.....I can highly recommend the YT Jeffsy 29.

Although to be fair any bike mentioned so far will be awesome!
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    As always, check out Bird, great bikes, pretty much built to your spec.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Just bought a Whyte S-150s, aluminium so not the lightest but does everything I need it to and is probably more bike than I need!

I ride mainly single track and trails and it takes everything i throw at it with ease, in fact its probably got me out of a few situations that should have seen me in A&E. I am new to MTB though so if you are far more experienced then maybe carbon is the way to go?

It is a 29er but has the geometry that allows you to switch to 27.5 as well, not tried it eyt but may buy a set of 27.5 wheels or at least borrow some to see what the difference feels like.

Within your budget as well.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Specialized Epic
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^ as above but it is for xc really, light though. There are other specialized bikes for rougher terrain and jumps.

If you are intending big jumps, then chances are you will crash/bail off the bike so carbon frame is not great at taking impacts.
  • ilias87
    ilias87 Posts: 19
    thank you for all your responses! really appreciate it and a lot to think about.

I am 5.5 ft I have heard that 29" may not work well with shorter people anyone has any experience?
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Wheel size makes no difference it’s the frame size that dictates what you need.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Jam29
    Jam29 Posts: 16
    Hi ilias87,

I've owned a Capra CF for 3 years and can't recommend it highly enough. I use it for everything from XC rides to trail riding to bike parks and it works for me. I think its a true jack off all trades. Good at climbing but you won't be the first to the top and its in its element going down but it won't beat a dh rig. All of which I am fine with.

With regards to carbon I wouldn't buy another aluminium bike as I just prefer the feel of carbon. I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe its a duller ride. I just know the feel you get from a carbon frame is a different experience to aluminium.

As to the sweet spot for riding long distance and trail its probably around 140mm as a compromise.

I would also look at the Jeffsey 27.5 as JGTR has mentioned. Its aimed more at trail riding and will probably be a better bike if distance and trail riding are your priorities.

YT have some demo days coming up soon and would give you the opportunity to try out both and compare:
    https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/shopwa ... tionId=353

Hope that helps!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    A tad over your budget but worth considering a Whyte T130RS £3150 decent spec,but not as well specced as YT though
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    forget about the spec for a second and look at the actual bike. YT look attractive for the spec but would you buy one at the same price and spec as another bike. Does the geo fit your size and intended use?

carbon fibre just means the bike is a bit lighter and more expensive.

suspension needs to be set up correctly so travel is kinda irrelevant.

For your needs I'd probably consider something like a transition scout (not specifically that bike but that type of bike) . I would try and find some bikes to demo then compare the geo of others and see what you think.