Canyon Strive

Jam29
Jam29 Posts: 16
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to change my current bike (YT Capra) for a Canyon Strive. Interested in the Strive because of the shape shifter. Anyone's experience good or bad would be appreciated.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Testers and others I have read about never seem to use it.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Yakboy
    Yakboy Posts: 55
    I have had a Strive CF 8.0 for 2 years now so hopefully can give a bit of an insight. I have thoroughly enjoyed the bike and find the shapeshifter very useful. I like short dynamic climbs so having the ability to flip quickly into XC mode (and when you get good at it you can change modes very quickly). The bike eats terrain in downhill mode but lately I have been craving an even slacker bike and may upgrage to a 170mm shock. After 2 years of hard use the shape shifter seal has started to leak. Canyon replaced it no questions within 2 days, I have still to fit it (this weeks job) and will change the seal on the old shapeshifter to always have a spare in. When buying the strive I thought the 2 modes would suit my riding (and after having a Canyon Nerve XC with 120 travel that stormed uphill)
    A testament to the usefulness of the modes is that in my riding group (of people mostly 10 years younger and some 25 years younger) I am always forced to go at the front on dynamic climbs as I am faster than my 95% colleagues uphill.
    I have only had great service from canyon with the 2 bikes of theirs I own (over 6 years).
    The shapeshifter system is not for everyone, you do have to keep the piston clean and lube it but I only pumped it up once in 18 months. You need to asses what sort of riding you do to see if it's worth it.