Rose X-Lite 6 Ultegra DI2

2»

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Vortice wrote:
    Hi. How is the handling? A few reviews have said it's twitchy?

I have 5 weeks to wait for mine. I ordered the X lite 6 disc Di2 with Mavic comete pro 62mm carbon rims. I've never had deep sections so I'm worried about the handling. I've also specified a 9cm stem but only because I usually ride endurance geometry. I have longer stems spare if it too short.

Worried about the handling :/

You obviously read the same review I did!

I ordered the x-lite 6 rim brake SRAM red with Cosmic pro carbon SL wheels. I’d be a bit concerned the 62mm rims would be too much for windy days. You could always buy yourself a set of lower profile wheels and swap them out when needed?

I can always use my Hunt 4 season wheels off my winter bike. I just dont know if it's that easy to swap wheels on a disc bike. Thinking pad alignment

That Comete upgrade was just too tempting wasn't it

I have to do a bit of tweaking when I swap wheels on my disc bike so you are probably right.

Must admit, i’m not sure I’d be happy with the Rose wheels so the Comete wheels are the better choice. The other option is to take them off the bike as soon as you get it and sell them - should be able to get enough for them to get something decent. On my BMC I’ve got Hollowgram HG SL 35mm disc wheelset. They are very light, fat and tubeless - highly recommended. Think they cost around £1k. They’d suit the x-lite perfectly
  • Vortice wrote:
    Vortice wrote:

I have 5 weeks to wait for mine. I ordered the X lite 6 disc Di2 with Mavic comete pro 62mm carbon rims. I've never had deep sections so I'm worried about the handling. I've also specified a 9cm stem but only because I usually ride endurance geometry. I have longer stems spare if it too short.

I ordered the x-lite 6 rim brake SRAM red with Cosmic pro carbon SL wheels. I’d be a bit concerned the 62mm rims would be too much for windy days. You could always buy yourself a set of lower profile wheels and swap them out when needed?

I can always use my Hunt 4 season wheels off my winter bike. I just dont know if it's that easy to swap wheels on a disc bike. Thinking pad alignment

I have to do a bit of tweaking when I swap wheels on my disc bike so you are probably right.

Must admit, i’m not sure I’d be happy with the Rose wheels so the Comete wheels are the better choice. The other option is to take them off the bike as soon as you get it and sell them - should be able to get enough for them to get something decent. On my BMC I’ve got Hollowgram HG SL 35mm disc wheelset. They are very light, fat and tubeless - highly recommended. Think they cost around £1k. They’d suit the x-lite perfectly

I had this option in mind. They cost £400 to add to the order but should fetch £1000 on ebay. I'm looking at the hunt Aero 50s.

How are you finding the handling? I've gone 57cm frame with 9cm stem. I am worried i should have gone 55cm with a 11cm stem. Your thoughts on the handling would be very welcomed. Is it skittish/twitchy?
  • vortice
    Vortice wrote:
    Vortice wrote:

I had this option in mind. They cost £400 to add to the order but should fetch £1000 on ebay. I'm looking at the hunt Aero 50s.

How are you finding the handling? I've gone 57cm frame with 9cm stem. I am worried i should have gone 55cm with a 11cm stem. Your thoughts on the handling would be very welcomed. Is it skittish/twitchy?

Still waiting on mine - apparently will be built up week of 18 June.

The OP has a size 55 - looking at the stem in the pictures it looks quite short - I’m hoping he will give us some feedback.
  • KoenM
    KoenM Posts: 95
    edited May 2018
    Sorry haven't checked the forum in a week!
    I got the DT Swiss PRC 1400 Spline 35 carbon wheelset on mine, In think it's a very good fit for the bike as it is as alround as the bike is! It did only cost me €13 for the DT Swiss PRC 1400 Spline 35 carbon wheelset and they don't act up in crosswinds and are lightweight and brake very well!
    That's why I find it weird they sent out all reviewerbikes with such deep wheels, most bad points on the reviews are about the wheels!
    Anyways I'm not a big fan of deep section wheels, the little aerobenefit doesn't outweight the crappy handling and weight!
    The stem is a 90mm in my case.
    About the twitchyness, it's a bit more direct than my other bikes but I can't say it's twitchy, while I was in Spain I got ALOT of downhill pr's, so that should say alot!
    Maybe 2 minor points that I found out:
    -If u are in the 34 in the front the shifting doesn't allow u to go to the 11 and 12 in the back, I think that's because u would get to many chainslap!
    -U can't fit a cadencesensor, the crankarms are to close to the frame!
  • Thanks for the reply. I have sized the frame down and had an 11cm stem fitted. 7 weeks to go!

On the clearance, this is worrying. I have a crank based power meter. I really hope it fits!

On the cross chaining, is yours Di2? In my experience you can ride all gears on Di2. On mechanical you get rubbing in extreme cases, but you shouldn't be riding that gear anyway. Change up to the 52.

The latest Di2 has synchromesh that will sort that out for you
  • KoenM
    Thanks for the reply. I have sized the frame down and had an 11cm stem fitted. 7 weeks to go!

On the clearance, this is worrying. I have a crank based power meter. I really hope it fits!

On the cross chaining, is yours Di2? In my experience you can ride all gears on Di2. On mechanical you get rubbing in extreme cases, but you shouldn't be riding that gear anyway. Change up to the 52.

The latest Di2 has synchromesh that will sort that out for you

Yeah Di2, and yeah I know u shouldn't do it but sometimes if there is a descent on a climb it's sometimes easier to stay in the little ring on the front. And it's the DI2 that doesn't let me change it, if i'm on the 50/11 and i change to the 34 it auto changes to the the 13 in the back! Note that it's just a bit annoying but not a dealbreaker!
    Btw I got a 50/34 not a 52/36, yeah for the powermeter I hope it will fit, I don't have a powermeter so I can't help u that way!
  • I see. I have the 6800 Di2 without sync and can ride all gears. You can turn it off using the e-tube app by connecting to your phone or computer by cable
  • KoenM
    I see. I have the 6800 Di2 without sync and can ride all gears. You can turn it off using the e-tube app by connecting to your phone or computer by cable

U think I didn't try that yet? I thaught I changed it but it still the same :(
  • Vortice wrote:
    Vortice wrote:
    Vortice wrote:

Still waiting on mine - apparently will be built up week of 18 June.

The OP has a size 55 - looking at the stem in the pictures it looks quite short - I’m hoping he will give us some feedback.

@Vortice has yours arrived yet? Mine is supposed to be in build\shipping this week. I'm still not sure i chose the right wheels.
  • vortice
    @Vortice has yours arrived yet? Mine is supposed to be in build\shipping this week. I'm still not sure i chose the right wheels.

Was shipped last Tuesday. DHL Germany tracking says its left Germany. UK mail says it doesn’t recognise the tracking number yet - I guess it’s in the English Channel somewhere!
  • Vortice wrote:

Was shipped last Tuesday. DHL Germany tracking says its left Germany. UK mail says it doesn’t recognise the tracking number yet - I guess it’s in the English Channel somewhere!

I called on Friday for an update (due 17th July). They said they were waiting for rims, but I ordered factory wheels not the rose wheels. They made a mistake so have pushed my build to this week and hopefully shipping this week. Sound like I can expect at least a week for shipping
  • vortice
    Vortice wrote:

I called on Friday for an update (due 17th July). They said they were waiting for rims, but I ordered factory wheels not the rose wheels. They made a mistake so have pushed my build to this week and hopefully shipping this week. Sound like I can expect at least a week for shipping

Arrived today, so 8 days from dispatch.

Just a very quick spin around the block, so too early for a review, however no concerns regarding twitchy handling. Really like the Ritchey carbon bars - quite short reach which with the 90mm stem suits me great. Not sure ill get on with the selle Italian SLR saddle but I’ll give it some time before potentially swapping for my regular perch.

Weight with two bottle cages is 6.4Kg. I have the cosmic wheels which are a little heavier than the R-SYS SLR so its probably 100 - 150g heavier than advertised, so not bad.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Reassuring that your weight isn’t too far out. Hopefully you will share some photos.
  • vortice
    Alex222 wrote:
    Reassuring that your weight isn’t too far out. Hopefully you will share some photos.

I’m not great with IT, but if I get chance I’ll have a go.

First ride this evening. Mines the x-lite 6 red version, with everything standard except Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon SL, which come ready set up as tubeless with sealant already applied and a full bottle in the bag. I went for the rim braked variant because especially on a light bike, I prefer the handling. I’ve had a couple of disc bikes and they don’t seem to handle as well. Perhaps the discs mean a lower centre of gravity making the ride more stable but less fun? I don’t know - perhaps it’s just me!

So I did a quick 28m loop which is a regular of mine. It’s flat apart from 2 13% short climbs. The bike feels very alive, responsive, both in terms of reacting to stomping on the pedals and steering input. I was a little nervous having read reports that the front end was twitchy, especially since I have a 90mm stem and the excellent Ritchey Carbon wcs bars have a shorter reach than I had realised but I needn’t have worried - it fine, in fact it’s fun!

It was set up perfectly by Rose, so drivetrain was quiet and gear changes were crisp. The hoods are set up so there is a perfectly flat transition between bars and levers which is just how I like it. Only issues were rattling brake/gear cables where they cross in front of the head tube and there must be some flex in the wheels/fork/stays as out of seat efforts illicited break rub so I’ve had to open up the pads a little further than I’d ideally like.

Now here’s the funny bit. The bike feels stiff, so I’d expect to feel a bit of road noise on some of the rough surface topped roads we have these days, but it was more than I expected. This is in comparison to my Canyon CF SLX on Fulcrum racing zeros on 23mm rubber and my Teammachine SLR01 on R-SYS SLRs, with 25s. But it didn’t beat me up and was actually quite comfortable. I’m not talking excessive road buzz, but I thought with tubeless cosmics at 75psi rear and 70 front, the buzz would be more muted. The rear was definitely more refined than the front and at some point I might double wrap the bars.
    It’s not a complaint, just a very minor observation.

I didn’t think I’d get on with the saddle, but I found it surprisingly comfortable. It needs a few longer rides but it might just stay on the bike. Bars I’ve already mentioned and the rest of the finishing kit is spot on.

I asked to have the cosmics, which aren’t one of the wheelsets on the menu options for the x-lite 6, but I asked and Rose obliged. I wanted a light tubeless, carbon wheelset that would serve as an all rounder, light enough to climb but with some aero credentials. I went for these over the DT Swiss option because the braking is reportedly very good and the UST tubeless system, where tyres are exactly sized to fit the rims perfectly, apparently means they can be fitted, removed and sealed much easier than previously. Too early to report back on this aspect, but braking seemed fine in the dry they and they spin nicely with a mid volume freewheel. There is a £200 premium over the R-SYS for these. I’m not sure about the tyres. There were no grip issues in the dry and the bike with these tyres tracked well through the corners inspiring plenty of confidence actually. I do wonder whether a softer compound tyre might help with the road noise, but then the advantage of the matched tyres and rims will be negated.

I’m lucky in that I’ve had/got a few tasty bikes to compare. My favourite is still the BMC Teammachine, however I’ve just turned 50 and I’m finding it’s starting to feel too aggressive. The Canyon CF SLX does everything brilliantly but I just find it a little boring. So for me, the Rose feels like it fits somewhere between those two. It’s almost as much fun as the Teammachine but with geometry than now suits me better. It’s probably not as smooth as the other two but I’m now splitting hairs.

Incidentally, I knocked a minute off my best time for my regular 28 mile route. I’m not saying it’s faster because I think it’s on a par with the other two bikes for speed. I think it’s the new bike effect. I did get home with a massive grin on my face though!

Hope this very early review is useful.
  • KoenM
    Honestly I didn't have breakrub with the DT-Swiss wheels, in fact I run my brakepads ALOT closer than on my other bikes, just because the wheels are so stiff that I can't flex them even on very steep climbs, so don't think it's the frame/fork. As for roadbuzz, I don't have any problems with it, maybe because my other bikes are so bad with it I find this bike alot more comfortable, but I also use bartape with gel on every bike. It's an option with Rose, and a very good one!
  • vortice
    I do need to have a good look at the set up of the brakes - I might be able to get it better. I didn’t realise Rose did a gel tape option otherwise I probably would have added that too.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Cheers for the review
  • avanzato
    avanzato Posts: 3
    Guys, Anyone having any issues with your X-Lite? I've got the 4 DI2 and have a clicking noise that we can't locate so far. Thought it was just the pedals, but swapped them and it's still there.
  • vortice
    avanzato wrote:
    Guys, Anyone having any issues with your X-Lite? I've got the 4 DI2 and have a clicking noise that we can't locate so far. Thought it was just the pedals, but swapped them and it's still there.

No issues with my x-lite 6.

Can you narrow it down? Is it random, once per crank rotation, once per cycle rotation, once per chain rotation, seated and standing, when turning the cranks, when coasting, etc. More details needed.

How do you like the bike otherwise? Rim or disc?

Cheers
  • vortice
    Vortice wrote:

Has yours arrived yet and if so how you getting on with it?
  • avanzato
    avanzato Posts: 3
    Vortice wrote:
    No issues with my x-lite 6.

Can you narrow it down? Is it random, once per crank rotation, once per cycle rotation, once per chain rotation, seated and standing, when turning the cranks, when coasting, etc. More details needed.

How do you like the bike otherwise? Rim or disc?

Cheers

Virtually once per crank rotation. Rose wonder if it's a bit of dirt between the crank and bb shell, They've even offered to pick it up if we can't fix it.

Love it otherwise, Way more bike than I really need, but when did that stop anyone :)

I went for discs, my first disc bike. Find them fantastic as well,
  • Mauro69
    Mauro69 Posts: 35
    I'm looking for real-world feedback on the ROSE X-LITE SIX.
    I have read that the weight of the frame does not correspond with the weight claimed, but that the frame is a lot of grams heavier, also I've readed that the paint is a little bit thin, flimsy.
    There is anyone who can confirm that or tell somthing about this things?

Wich is the tyre clearance, for both version, disc and rim? I mean the measured width of the tyres.
    I'd like also to ear something bout the ride quality, climbing and descendig qualities, stiffnes or harshness of the frame.

Thank you in advance for the advices.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Mauro69 wrote:
    I have read that the weight of the frame does not correspond with the weight claimed, but that the frame is a lot of grams heavier, also I've readed that the paint is a little bit thin, flimsy.

Wich is the tyre clearance, for both version, disc and rim? I mean the measured width of the tyres.
    I'd like also to ear something bout the ride quality, climbing and descendig qualities, stiffnes or harshness of the frame.

Review of top of the range SRAM Red eTap version here

https://granfondo-cycling.com/rose-x-li ... 18-review/

Overall weight is quoted at 6.36kg with Zipp 454 NSW wheels fitted. Comments on ride quality are also included. No info on maximum tyre clearance tho.

The disc version is reviewed here

https://road.cc/content/review/241471-r ... ltegra-di2

Quoted weight is 7.08kg and they do mention a maximum tyre clearance of 30mm

If by "real world" you mean actual owners them both @KoenM and @Vortice have done mini reviews earlier in this thread. Maybe they can comment on tyre size options.
  • Mauro69
    Mauro69 Posts: 35
    Thank you very much
  • KoenM
    arlowood wrote:
    Mauro69 wrote:

Review of top of the range SRAM Red eTap version here

https://granfondo-cycling.com/rose-x-li ... 18-review/

Overall weight is quoted at 6.36kg with Zipp 454 NSW wheels fitted. Comments on ride quality are also included. No info on maximum tyre clearance tho.

The disc version is reviewed here

https://road.cc/content/review/241471-r ... ltegra-di2

Quoted weight is 7.08kg and they do mention a maximum tyre clearance of 30mm

If by "real world" you mean actual owners them both @KoenM and @Vortice have done mini reviews earlier in this thread. Maybe they can comment on tyre size options.

Well I did a trip to the Flemish Ardennes, u know the region where the Tour the Flanders is raced, and because of the cobbles I installed 28mm Schwalbe Pro One. At 5 bar it's real width was about 30mm, and to be honest I even had some space left, I think it could even fit 30mm (although Rose doesn't recommend it)!
    What I've also noticed, while the bike isn't the most comfortable bike there is (not really made for that either), there wasn't a moment I wished for another bike, because it flew up those small but steep hills!
    As for the weight, it is a bit heavier than stated on the website BUT it isn't heavy by ANY means! Do note that this bike also has aero features, combining that with the light weight this is a very allround bike!
    In 2 weeks this bike will be stalled for the winter and the chain will be replaced (it's a bit worn and it was 2-3 links to long), I hope the winter will be short because i'm going to miss this bike!

Edit: About the reviews, I think they focus to much on the wheels, while most of these reviews don't even have the default wheels on it AND u can choose other wheels. So take those reviews with a grain of sault, alot of review websites get sponsored by Canyon and other bike brands ;-).
  • requiem
    requiem Posts: 57
    edited May 2020

Hi there, sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm unable to find confirmation of nds chainstay /crank arm clearance anywhere.

May I ask if you were able to fit your crank based power meter in the end please? Seems rather strange that Rose would overlook this as an option for buyers.. If so, may I ask which power meter you're using too please? I have a 4iiii which I'd love to mo e across.

@KoenM @trickytree1984 @vortice - I don't suppose you or any other x lite owner here would be kind enough to take a photo from above, of chainstay/nds crank arm clearance for me? :# that would be super useful and greatly appreciated! Perhaps even with a measurement?! o:)

Many thanks!

• koen
    koen Posts: 13
    requiem said:

Hi there, sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm unable to find confirmation of nds chainstay /crank arm clearance anywhere.

May I ask if you were able to fit your crank based power meter in the end please? Seems rather strange that Rose would overlook this as an option for buyers.. If so, may I ask which power meter you're using too please? I have a 4iiii which I'd love to mo e across.

@KoenM @trickytree1984 @vortice - I don't suppose you or any other x lite owner here would be kind enough to take a photo from above, of chainstay/nds crank arm clearance for me? :# that would be super useful and greatly appreciated! Perhaps even with a measurement?! o:)

Many thanks!

There isn't alot of space, my cadance meter didn't fit on it for example, well it fitted until I put some power on the pedals than it touched the chainstays. Also the photo's give the illusion u have more space than u have. But maybe u can ask Rose on their twitter, they answer very fast.

Rose X-Lite Six Ultegra DI2
    Ribble CGR SL 105
    Canyon Lux CF 6.9 Pro
    Triban 100
  • requiem
    Ah that's very kind of you, thanks @KoenM!

Are you still enjoying the bike? I am very tempted indeed.

I had actually emailed Rose with this question though am still awaiting a response. That does indeed look rather tight - it's hard to see as the images are blurry but that looks like approx 10 / 11 mm at the middle of the crank :#

Thanks again!
  • koen
    koen Posts: 13
    My wahoo cadence sensor fitted until I put some power on it than it touched.
    I just went to the 4iii website and it said that a AAA-battery should fit in between and it didn't fit anywhere.
    I have alot of bikes and if I would buy a powermeter it would be a pedalbased one, so for me it's not a problem.
    The bike still rides as new even after 2 years and 10700km, I should mention that it's my good-weather bike so I keep it very clean. But I have ridden it on the cobbles of the Tour de Flanders with a 28mm tires and it was comfortable enough for a me.
    I have also ridden it in the mountains of switserland, the Mont Ventoux and much more and it's still the bike I like to ride the most.
    Maybe I would buy a Reveal now as I don't race on my bike and the Reveal should be more comfortable, it looks a bit cleaner with the cables and the discbrakes would be helpfull in a long descent in the rain.

Rose X-Lite Six Ultegra DI2
    Ribble CGR SL 105
    Canyon Lux CF 6.9 Pro
    Triban 100
  • requiem
    Ah thanks again Koen, I really appreciate your help with this. I'm glad to hear you've had many happy miles on the Rose! :) shame about the clearance, that could be a deal-breaker for me as I'd really rather not have the necessity to buy a new power meter as part of my bike purchase. Would be great to hear how @trickytree1984 you got on with this, and which crank based PM you (hopefully) fitted to the bike.

Thanks again,
    Simon