Replacing Avid BB5's - Alternatives???

Riding High
Riding High Posts: 21
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Got a set of Avid BB5's on a Boardman CX Team which I use for commuting which I am looking to replace. If I am honest I have never really thought much of the brakes and am about to replace the current BB5's as they are seized and have seen better days so before ordering replacements I am looking for advice on what to replace them with?

I have had a quick look online and it appears as though I can get BB5's and BB7's but was looking for advice on what altnatives would be an option as my experience of the BB5's hasn't been great so replacing like for like doesn't really appeal. Will the BB7's be better or should I look at another brand??

Thoughts???

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    years ago i had a bike with bb5, they are really fiddly to set-up, performance is ok for general use like commuting but needs tweaking to maintain

with bb7 both pads are adjustable, they are easier to set up and perform better

of the two, i'd get bb7 every time

bb5/bb7 both come in road and mtb versions, make sure you get the correct type for your bike (i'd assume road)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I just upgraded my bb5 to bb7 (on my MTB). Much easier to adjust and the pads must be at least 50% bigger so much better, noticeable, braking performance.

I imagine the improvement gains would be similar for the road version.
    Half man, Half bike
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I've also got a Boardman CX Team from 2012. I persevered with the BB5s and spent ages trying to set them up but found them very poor. I also went for BB7s and the difference is like night and day. Had they been cheaper, I might have been tempted by TRP Hy/Rds.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been using BB7s since 2002 and I have another bike with TRP Spykes / Spyres - the dual-piston design of the TRP means you're less likely to get the slight-rubbing you get with the Avids. Also, making sure you have decent, compressionless outer cables removes some of the mushiness you get with cable discs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Juin Tech R1 are cable operated hydraulics... better than any cable caliper I have owned in the past and don't have the same lever throw issues of the HyRD.
    The price is competitive
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The Giant Conduct upgrade kit might be worth looking at- you will also need a giant stem, although the connect costs barely more than a tenner so not a huge obstacle.

I've been using mine for a few weeks now, pretty happy with it.

If you want to avoid Hydraulics, the TRP Spyre is an excellent choice, have been running a set for around four years now in all conditions, they've never let me down, and are fairly easy to service when required.
  • Thanks for the replies and info. Think I will shop about and see if I can get the TRP Spyres with a bit of discount depending on timings and sales etc.