Trek Emonda SL vs Trek Emonda SLR

MazPt
MazPt Posts: 11
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone

Simple question: is there any difference between the Emonda SL 7 versus the Emonda SLR 6 except for weight?

I'm probably going to buy the Emonda but the SLR 6 is 1000 euros more expensive than the SL7 (with same setup: ultegra di2, disc brakes). Is it worth to pay the extra 1000 for a better carbon frame in terms of durability, comfort, smoothness?

SLR 6:

https://www.trekbikes.com/be/nl_BE/fiet ... grey_black

SL 7:
https://www.trekbikes.com/be/nl_BE/fiet ... Code=black

Thanks a lot

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Completely up to you. You obviously know the technical differences so only you can decide whether it's worth the extra outlay.

I'd personally always go for the best frame I could afford.
  • MazPt
    dstev55 wrote:
    Completely up to you. You obviously know the technical differences so only you can decide whether it's worth the extra outlay.

I'd personally always go for the best frame I could afford.

But what has that frame to offer except for being lighter? Or does a lighter frame add so much more to the ride quality?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As someone who has had both my preference was the SLR. You can always upgrade groupset at a later date.
    The SLR is a stiff frame, I found it doesn’t soak up road buzz, but it’s just such a fun frame to ride. I really enjoyed mine, it felt light and fast, I don’t think it is noticeably faster than the SL, but it just felt more lively.
    If you got the SL do you think you may always wonder how good the SLR could be?
  • MazPt
    w00dster wrote:
    As someone who has had both my preference was the SLR. You can always upgrade groupset at a later date.
    The SLR is a stiff frame, I found it doesn’t soak up road buzz, but it’s just such a fun frame to ride. I really enjoyed mine, it felt light and fast, I don’t think it is noticeably faster than the SL, but it just felt more lively.
    If you got the SL do you think you may always wonder how good the SLR could be?

But is the difference really noticeable? Is it a world of difference or a minor difference? The Emonda SL costs 4.999€ with carbon wheels, discs and di2. The Emonda SLR costs 6.194€ with alloy wheels, disc brakes and di2. Maybe I have to let go of the idea of disc brakes. I live in Flanders, it's flat here! With rim brakes the SLR 6 will be more affordable.
  • MazPt wrote:

But is the difference really noticeable?

You've asked the same question in 3 different ways
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If yo live somewhere flat why do you want discs?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Price or value is always subjective and depends on your budget. If I wanted best bike for a maximum budget and the SLR was in budget as well as the SL 7, then hands down it would be the SLR. Wheels can be upgraded.
    Is there 1000€ difference between the two? That’s subjective, only you can answer if having the top frame with a small (read tiny) performance benefit is worth it?
    If you wanted the best value for money Emonda I’d personally go with the SL6 Pro which retails in the UK at £2850.

My personal choice having had them both and still riding an SL frame is that I would buy the SLR and not worry about whether I have got best value for money. If I was buying one today with the 6200€ you mention then it would be the SLR8 non disc, UK price is £5200. However as I’m on a budget these days then I’d have to go for the SL6 Pro (non disc) which represents best value for money in my opinion.
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    I have had the same dilemma over the years. Hi Mod v Non Hi Mod, SL v SLR and so forth. The conclusion I came to very recently was it's not what the difference is between the high end and mid range kit, but whether that difference is relevant to you and your riding. I mean, does anyone really need a sub 7kg frame? Common sense would suggest going for something that is best for you and your budget. For example, it may be that there is a difference between the SL and the SLR, but the SL is perfect for you. I spoke to a very reputable bike shop recently about this very issue (they are also a Trek dealer) and the recommendation was the SL with higher end wheels, and get a second set of wheels for training. Some Trek dealers talk of "Night and day" differences between the 2, but others are not too sure.

A recent podcast on VeloNews FastTalk spoke of this recently (Ep. 29 "The Future of bikes") and a mechanic was asked what he would buy with a budget of $4,500. His answer: 3 x $1,500 bikes! He thought getting a quality frame that fits and high end wheels was the way to go. He always said you should buy kit that you can crash and not worry about!

This discussion is a bit like the Ultegra V Dura Ace debate that rages every other week. I would say go with your head, that is usually right!