France/Belgium border terrain question.

peteco
peteco Posts: 184
edited April 2018 in Tour & expedition
We are off to the France/Belgium border area for a short break in a few weeks to coincide with the Paris-Roubaix race.
It's not a pure cycling break, but we will have bikes with us to do short trips visiting the battlefield memorials in the Ypres area, and further South probably in the Valenciennes area where we plan to watch the race.

I am assuming that the terrain will be pretty flat, and that I can manage with a single-speed bike ?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Around Ieper is pretty flat. Head south west though towards Heuvelland it gets lumpy. Don't know about Valenciennes.
  • peteco
    That's useful thanks.

Pete
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    You may find this site useful http://www.fietsroute.org/cycling/belgium
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Nice!

Not a terrain advice, but if you are near by and have the time (and you are beer lover), I must insist you visit Sistus Abbey in Westvleteren (10miles west of Ypres)!:

title_space_en.jpg

There's a cafe called In de Vrede opposite the abbey and you can enjoy their legendary beer which is often dubbed as "the best" beer in the world.

Or, pop over to Poperinge (next town west of Ypres) and look for this beer:

St-Bernardus-Abt-12.jpg

Their brewery is much closer west to the French/Flanders border, but it's out of town and a bit out of nowhere, so probably more interesting to visit Poperinge and find a brasserie for lunch.

Have a safe journey and enjoy the trip!

PS. I'm not endosring drinking and cycling nor driving... Please drink responsibly!
  • orraloon
    Poperinge, go for Cafe de la Paix in Grote Markt, good beers of course plus good food. Het Mysterie bar on the road out towards Abele, Abeelseweg, just beyond the ring road is lovely and characterful. In Ieper the Kazematten bar is just along from the Menen gate in old tunnels into the city wall, has the St Bernardus beers from above plus their own Wipers Times.

....next visit at end of May, I'm a fan, in case it isn't obvious...
  • peteco
    Perfect thanks - we like beer !
    We will add these to our list of places to visit.
    Any recommendations for places to eat in the evening in Leper ?

Pete
  • orraloon
    Depends what you want. Loads of cafes / brasseries on and around Grote Markt in Ieper. If you want to go a little more upmarket, this time last year we had a cracking meal in Capella restaurant, check it on TripAdvisor.
  • peteco
    Many thanks.

Pete
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    We’re planning on parking in Dover, foot passenger on the boat and then cycling to La Coupole for the V2 site and into Belgium for beer, chips, beer, cobbles WW1 sites and the odd beer for a few days. What’s getting in and out of Calais like with all the migrants? You hear horror stories of chaos with cars and trucks, any bother with cyclists?
  • peteco
    Just got back from a great long weekend.

To answer my own question, it's dead flat around Ypres, and a single speed was fine. Some excellent routes available covering all the WW1 memorials and tourist sites. Plus of course, Belgium is completely geared towards cycling, with bike paths everywhere.

Great beer too - we have bought plenty home !

Pete