Gent Wevelgem

chieflordy
chieflordy Posts: 48
edited March 2018 in Pro race
Heading to watching Gent Wevelgem next weekend, and am interested in any tips on where to watch. Kemmelberg seems most obvious choice with the opportunity to see the race twice in the same spot, albeit two different routes up the hill. Is it best to park in Kemmel and walk up? Or any other parking tips? The Plugstreets section could be another option, but the route only passes once so maybe I could combine with watching at a different location earlier / later? As I say grateful for any tips for those who have trodden this path previously :D

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    chieflordy wrote:
    Heading to watching Gent Wevelgem next weekend, and am interested in any tips on where to watch. Kemmelberg seems most obvious choice with the opportunity to see the race twice in the same spot, albeit two different routes up the hill. Is it best to park in Kemmel and walk up? Or any other parking tips? The Plugstreets section could be another option, but the route only passes once so maybe I could combine with watching at a different location earlier / later? As I say grateful for any tips for those who have trodden this path previously :D

Best place will be any warm bar thats showing it :) Its forecast to be freeeeezing
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I went a few years back.

If you go to the start there is a good atmosphere in Deinze and its not too far to get out on to the course to any of the big climbs and vantage points.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Best place will be any warm bar thats showing it :) Its forecast to be freeeeezing

Oi, that’s enough of that kind of talk. I’m doing the Sportive the day before (very excited as we’ve done most of the others !) and it’ll be a long day in the saddle.

I’m forecasting 10 degrees and a gentle breeze :D
  • If you go to the start there is a good atmosphere in Deinze and its not too far to get out on to the course to any of the big climbs and vantage points.

I didn't think the start was very good, all the teams buses and cars were behind barriers. It was over 10 years ago though, might be a bit different now. Although it was quite funny when Oscar Freire (or it might have been Juan Antonio Flecha or maybe even both of them) came to the presetation podium and they played Y Viva Espana.

Then went to Kemmel, parked up in the square, walked up to the climb, watched them though twice, then watched the finish though a shop window back in Kemmel. All easy enough to do.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Watched last year. Parked up in Kemmel, walked to the top, beer and frites and a party atmosphere and great views as the under 23s and women's races passed by before the men. Then walked 100 yards or so to the other side of the climb, got a nice spot on the barriers and was right there when GVA attacked (with Sagan and Degenkolb on his wheel). Highly recommended (helped that it was hot and sunny though!)
  • BigMat wrote:
    Watched last year. Parked up in Kemmel, walked to the top, beer and frites and a party atmosphere and great views as the under 23s and women's races passed by before the men. Then walked 100 yards or so to the other side of the climb, got a nice spot on the barriers and was right there when GVA attacked (with Sagan and Degenkolb on his wheel). Highly recommended (helped that it was hot and sunny though!)
    Cheers, I forgot there would be woman’s and u23 races as well. Won’t bothering chasing the race and will stick to the Kemmelberg. Don’t think it will be hot and sunny this year, but advance forecast suggests 10/12c. Much better than this week anyway.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Shipley wrote:

Oi, that’s enough of that kind of talk. I’m doing the Sportive the day before (very excited as we’ve done most of the others !) and it’ll be a long day in the saddle.

I’m forecasting 10 degrees and a gentle breeze :D

Niiiiice :)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    got about 7 of us going over to do the “drinkers sportive” then back to Ghent for the evening. Will try the wooden Bar again, and then see how we do in the morning…