Cassette Spacers

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited March 2018 in Workshop
The more I look on the net the more confused I've become as to what spacers I need. I have 3 questions.

1. On the winter bike, I am running Mavic Aksium wheels with a Mavic/Shimano 11 speed hub, my cassette is a Shimano 8 speed. What spacer do I need?

2. On the summer bike, I am running Mavic Aksium wheels with a Mavic/Shimano 11 speed hub, my cassette is a Shimano 11 speed. What if any, spacers do I need?

3. Other than rotational movement should there be any other movement on the cassette?

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    I made this list the other day when fettling my 11spd Shimano cassette, in case I got confused on reassembly, if this helps.

Lock ring
    Spacer
    Spacer
    Spacer
    Spacer
    Spacer
    Inner 3 part

On a Shimano RS505.
  • Thanks orraloon, but these are not the spacers I'm talking about. Its the spacer that goes on before the cassette to enable various speed cassettes to work on an 11 speed hub.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    On FFWD DTSwiss hub , I think it was 2 x1mm spacer... on my Mavic, now you ask , it might just be 1 x1.8mm... but cant remember... it did come with the wheelset.
    Best to have a few hub spacers in the toolbox knocking about so you can fit and test... not exactly expensive components.
    A cassette should not rattle... just my opinion of course as this the internet of stupid people where someone always shouts black when it's white.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    11spd cassette on 11spd hub should not need any spacers, if that helps. 8spd cassette on 11spd hub will probably need about 1.5 - 2mm. Unless anyone else has a definitive answer, then you'll probably just need to experiment.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    No spacer for 11spd (unless 11-34 Ultegra R8000), 1.85mm spacer for 8spd. The 1.85mm spacer is generally supplied with the wheels.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I brought the wheels used with the 8 speed second hand so they didn't come with a spacer. I have fitted a 1.7mm spacer now, but there is still some small amount of movement. Should the cassette be rock solid? Is it worth fitting a 1mm spacer in addition to the 1.7mm?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I brought the wheels used with the 8 speed second hand so they didn't come with a spacer. I have fitted a 1.7mm spacer now, but there is still some small amount of movement. Should the cassette be rock solid? Is it worth fitting a 1mm spacer in addition to the 1.7mm?
    You can buy 1.85mm spacers for 11 speed freehubs. With this fitted you should be able to fit the 8pd cassette. If there is lateral play with this fitted the lock-ring isn't properly torqued - assuming the cassette is properly installed with all it's spacers.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The cassette needs to be pretty secure. No lateral movement on the freehub. The 40 Nm lockring torque is a clue.

If the cassette's still loose after tightening the lockring you need more / thicker spacers. Or you've lost a sprocket...

I only know about Shimano 10 speed freehubs. 9 speed cassette needs no spacer, 10 speed cassette needs a 1mm spacer, unless it's Tiagra when it doesn't. And thge newest 11 speed Ultegra cassette will fit on a 10 speed freehub. Alles klar?

TBH I'm not sure I have the mental capacity to move to 11 speed or a different brand of wheel...
  • I think I've found the problem. I haven't lost a sprocket. Its torqued down to 40nm. I have a 1.7mm spacer fitted. The problem is the freehub, at the end closest to the wheel there is a slight amount of 'rattle' type movement. It most likely needs a new freehub, but as its so slight I'll leave it until it gets worst. Thanks to everyone for your input.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    It's a Mavic Aksium freehub - they're made of a specific French alloy of ripe Brie & overripe Camembert - I blew through 3 in 12 months (original plus 2 warranty replacements). I no longer own any Mavic freehubbed wheels.
  • I've just watched a youtube video saying the same thing Man of Lard. Out of interest what wheels do you use? I've got Aksium's on both bikes, maybe time for a change.