Planning a Riding Event

bpcycler
bpcycler Posts: 5
edited March 2018 in Routes
I couldn't find the perfect place for this, as it's mostly a trail ride, but here it goes.

I'm in IT and ride to get my exercise in since my job often involves a lot of sitting. I've been riding casually for several years, with rides averaging 10-15 miles. Now and then we'll do a 20 mile ride; maybe 3-5 a year.

This year we're planning a 4 day ride on the C & O Canal path from D.C. to Cumberland (184 Miles). The days will be 43 miles, 42 miles, 40 miles, 59 miles; or 43 miles, 42 miles, 51 miles, 48 miles, depending on how we decide to break it up. Therefore we're going to spend several months working up to it so that we are physically prepared.

We'll be staying hotels along the way and plan to stay an extra day in DC enjoying what it has to offer.

Just wondering what you guys do to prepare for long rides, and types of food and drink you bring as well.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You definitely need to up your game. How long do your 20 mile rides take ?

Unless your terrain is fierce - you're doing rides that a granny could romp round.

Man up. Get some training in. Ride a few times per week.

You should be able to do much longer rides than current. If you aren't able to hit a distance longer than your longest planned day then you'll struggle on the trip. Especially if you're taking kit with you.

For those distances I would probably just take water and stop at a cafe for a bit of cake and a coffee.
  • bpcycler
    That's definitely the game plan. Several months of training for the occasion. Our typical rides here are 10-12 miles of hilly terrain, 3 times a week. One portion is 2.5 miles with an 11% average incline. We plan to start doing 20-25 mile rides 3 times a week in preparation.

I'm planning on what kind of sustenance this would require. For now I'm just planning on taking a couple of sandwiches, two 27oz bottles of water, 20oz bottle of Gatorade and a few power bars. There's places to stop along the way to eat.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Personally I wouldn't expect to require anything like that amount of food/sustenance for a 40-50 mile ride out of mixed terrain.
    1st ride outside this year of 50miles I took 1 water bottle (just water) 1 gel and stopped at 30ish miles for a mug of tea, didn't use all the water, although I would have done if it was warmer weather:)
    I'm not exactly fast but am comfortable with 100mile+ rides .
    I guess too much is better than too little but stopping for lunch somewhere and enough fluids should be more than adequate.
    I don't think lack of food will be your problem, more time in the saddle is whats required :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I guess it must be really hot over there for those amounts of liquid ?

And what are you riding on ? Road, trail,gravel paths ?
  • bpcycler
    edited March 2018
    @sh3p - I go through a lot of water. Always have when working out or cycling. It does get hot here, but most it's just really humid most of the time. On a typical 80-90 degree day with 70%+ humidity I'll go through two 27oz bottles of water per 20 miles. A 10-15 mile ride I'll take one 27oz bottle and it's gone when I'm done.

Even when not working out I go through a lot of water through the day. I was worried it could be diabetes but I've checked out clean. I suspect maybe too sodium in my diet. I'll be addressing my diet as I begin training.
  • bpcycler
    @cougie - Yes, hot. And humid. Ride mostly trail.