Trek Madone 9 v Trek Emonda SL 7

Platti
Platti Posts: 130
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Been along to my local Trek (causing an increased spend budget) and fallen in love with the Madone but they've thrown something else in the mix.

Though I'd get a general consensus before parting with my cash.

Either -

Madone 9.0 @ 3.5k.

Love the look of this bike, it's stunning. Could possibly upgrade to Di2 later when I'm feeling flush again.

Emonda SL7 @ 4k

Not as lovely looking but comes with Di2.

Just after a few comments that may sway me one way or the other.

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    As you love the look of the Madone then I'd go for that. You are likely to regret it if you don't.
  • Platti
    Platti Posts: 130
    Good point, but once I'm used to having the bike will I not regret not having Di2 ? :roll:
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    No. You can save the pennies and get etap.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm personally not a fan of the less ridiculously expensive Madone's. I know its subjective but I don't see the point in spending close to £4k on an aero bike and then making compromises. The Madone looks good in the higher end models with the aero cockpit, £2k wheels and a nice paint job, but for some reason the 9.0 Madone looks a bit unfinished, like a frame only build that ran out of money.
    If it was my money I also wouldn't bother with the Emonda SL7, I'd go for the SL6 Pro. But then I'm a tight fisted git and I think the best value for money option in Trek's line up is the SL6 Pro. I know its personal choice but with the SL6 Pro I reckon you could easily ride that with no changes to the stock bike and be happy - then as things wear out you could look at upgrading then, I'd go with mechanical dura ace personally, but I'd do the upgrades over a period of time as and when needed.

If I was dead set on an aero bike and had a £4k budget I'd probably look elsewhere.

Re-reading that it sounds pretty negative on your choices - sorry! I just think you could get better value for money buying the SL6 Pro.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Go for the Madone, I'd say. the kit on the bike is of a good standard and allows you to fit tri bars. the wheels are a little heavy, but overall the kit is pretty good. get yourself a set of climbing/utility wheels and you'd be fine.

Ultegra r8000 is pretty much all anyone needs as well.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    The Madone's frame is on par with the Émonda SLR, not SL.
    Madone and SLR 600, SL 500 carbon.

The Madone 9.0 is a great deal considering the RSL version costs over £10000 but shares the same frameset.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Elfed wrote:

The Madone 9.0 is a great deal considering the RSL version costs over £10000 but shares the same frameset.

Emonda SLR is OCLV 700 .
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Surely the way to approach this is to determine what the OPs needs/planned uses are - either an aero frame or a lightweight climbing frame. They are different tools for different jobs....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    rando wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Emonda SLR is OCLV 700 .

You're right, thought the SLR was 600.
    Madone H1 used to be 700 but not sure if that's still the case.